quick buying advice needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ooohbeggie, Jun 25, 2004.

1. ooohbeggie macrumors newbie

Jun 16, 2004
    hello everyone.

i'm buying my first mac soon and was hoping i could get some good advice from some mac veterans. i actually posted a similar question a few days ago but didn't get much response (probably because i posted in the middle of someone else's thread -- my mistake). so i figured i'd try it again.

1. i work full-time and take programming classes at night at a local community college. do i qualify to take advantage of the apple educational discount even though i'm not a full-time student?

2. i'm planning on getting some additional options added when i purchase my new g5, such as an upgraded graphics card, bluetooth, and airport extreme. with this in mind, do you recommend buying through apple's website or calling apple to place my order with a real person?

thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

ps. thanks, sambo, for your reply to my earlier post.
  2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    1. I think you qualify for the educational prices. I don't think they say "full-time" in the fine print. But read it at the online Apple Store and you'll know for sure. I can't check it right now, and neither can you - the store is down!

2. If you need advice about your add-on options, you can ask a human at the online Apple Store, but you might find it even more helpful to ask here in the forums, where there are plenty of people likely to know the answers - which aren't always the Apple party line. For example, if you ask Apple about adding RAM, they will tell you to buy Apple RAM. If you ask here, you'll get advice about 3rd party RAM too.

If you know exactly what you want, I recommend using the online store, not the order phone line, because the web site gives you instant prices and feedback on your order and is perfect at it. Less chance of an error getting exactly what you want when you use the web site.
  3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The store has returned, so I looked it up:

4. ooohbeggie thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 16, 2004
    doctor q,

thanks for the quick reply. i really appreciate it.

i read the info you posted from the apple site and looked around a bit on my own and couldn't find anything that would suggest that you have to be a full-time student to qualify. anyone know of any info to the contrary?

thanks also for the advice on purchasing. the only options i plan on having apple install are the graphics card, bluetooth, and airport extreme. i'll be adding some third party ram (crucial or one of the others frequently mentioned here) as soon as the machine comes in.

thanks again.
  5. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

Apr 28, 2004
    1. i've found apple to be quite impartial to whether or not your even a student. altho i REALLY AM a student, i bought my powerbook at the local apple store, and the employee couldn't find my school on their website. i know it's there, i've found it myself, however the employee was so apathetic he just picked a random school and said f it. i was actually kind of upset, what if apple checks up on me and i have to explain this guy's laziness? oh well. if your a student AT ALL your good to go.

2. buy through the website, it's quicker since you don't have to wait for someone to answer, or listen to monotone touchtone menus. you CAN NOT customize anything in the physical apple stores other than ram, and that's no fun.
  6. ooohbeggie thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 16, 2004
    thanks, brian.

i can't believe that an actual apple employee would be that unconcerned. that's pretty funny. good thing you really are a student, just in case they come looking for you later. still would be a hassle to explain, even if you're not in the wrong.

thanks for your help.
  7. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    It shouldn't make any difference whether you call or order over the web. If something does go wrong with a web order, you'll have a emailed receipt that shows whether you input the order correctly or whether Apple shipped the wrong package. With a phone order, there is more human error possible, but I believe you still get a receipt which you can double check.

Congrats on getting a Powermac!! :)
  8. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I have ordered using the online Apple Store. For me it was very helpful to be at my local Apple Store also. That way if I had any questions, a staff member was available. Since they don't get any commission, you can get an unbiased opinion.

Having them send a receipt gives more confidence of knowing that the order was received properly. I really enjoyed going to the website to check on updated shipping date and tracking information.

Congratulations on your decision to get a G5. What type of graphics card are you getting?
  9. ooohbeggie thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 16, 2004
    thanks, carletonmusic and wdlove.

looks like ordering online is the way to go. it would be cool if i could do it from an apple store, but the nearest one is over three hours away. (on a side note, i just visited my first apple store in person a couple weeks ago in atlanta, ga. it was awesome, but, quite honestly, rather intimidating -- me being such a newbie and all.)

wdlove, here's what i'm getting:

dual 1.8g g5 with the following options:
    -ati radeon 9600 xt
    -airport extreme

i'm so excited. i'm currently typing to you on a 266m p2 gateway running windows 98 which crashes every 5 or 10 minutes. kind of funny that the model number is G6. :)

can't wait to order my mac. thanks for everyone's help.