Quick Cube HD question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by livingfortoday, Jul 22, 2005.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Hey gues, I'm on newegg.com buying some RAM for another computer, and I was thinking, why not upgrade the Cube with a faster hard drive while I'm at it?

So, I'm just wondering, does the Cube use 5400 or 7200 rpm drives? I have a 40GB version. I'm pretty sure it's a 5400 from what I've read online (in which case I'm upgrading), but some pages say it's a 7200rpm IBM drive? Any one know for sure?

If no one does, I'll open it up and take out the drive to check the model # of the drive, but I'd rather avoid doing that until I have a new hard drive to pop in!

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

In most systems, a 7200 drive will still work even if it came with a 5400. However, there may be heat issues with the Cube.

3. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

No no, I'm just wondering about the original speed because if it was a 7,200rpm drive originally, I probably wouldn't bother upgrading because I doubt I'd get much of a speed gain out of it. If the Cube has a 5400 in it, though, I'll definitely upgrade it.

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

the model number should show in system profiler.

5. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Awesome, that worked great, thank you. I guess it is a 7,200rpm drive. No upgradin' for me, then, I suppose!