Quick Dimmer Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by voodoomailman, Mar 9, 2006.

1. voodoomailman macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro. How do I change the settings on the way the screen gets dimmer (about half the original brightness) after leaving the mouse alone for about 5-10 minutes?

2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I would look in system prefs and then in Energy Saver. Look through those options.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I know it's dependent on your Energy Saver settings for when your monitor should go to sleep but I don't know how to control it exactly. I'd like to know too. I want my monitor to dim after 1 minute but keep my 15 minute time for the display to go to sleep.

4. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Don't think you can change that, Eidorian. From what I've gleaned over the years, the display dims at the half-way-to-turn-display-off point.

:eek:

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I don't care how much it dims by. I just want to control when it dims without changing my display sleep settings to something like 2 minutes. I normally run my LCD at 50% anyways.

6. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Wow... I posted that late last night, and now I realize it doesn't make a spot of sense...

I meant that you can't change that. The display automatically dims in half the time that you have set for the display to turn off. Set it to turn off in 10 minutes, it'll dim at 5. Set it to turn off in an hour, it'll dim in half...

7. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Yeah, I think that's correct, but it doesn't say anything about it. A lot of times I'd wish it wouldn't dim, but I'm pretty sure you can't turn it off, even when the machine's plugged in!

8. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

System Preferences --> Energy Saver --> Options --> Automatically reduce the brightness of the display before display sleep

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Alright, at least I know what little bit of info now.