Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
So has anyone else seen line graphs before where at some point on the graph (usually where the trend radically changes) there's a vertical line and text that marks some sort of milestone or event that caused that change? Does anyone know how to add those in an Excel graph (or I can do it in NeoOffice if Excel doesn't support it). And I don't want to photoshop it in either, I want it to be in the excel file. I made a quick drawing of what I'm looking for in Photoshop in case my description of what I wanted sucked :D

Thanks

Attachments

• graph.gif
    graph.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 1,593

iSaint

macrumors 603
You can use drawing tools to add a line anywhere in the chart. Then, add an additional data label and move it next to the line. That's the simplest way I know. I'm not sure if there's something that will recognize an event you're looking for and automatically create the line.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
You can use drawing tools to add a line anywhere in the chart. Then, add an additional data label and move it next to the line. That's the simplest way I know. I'm not sure if there's something that will recognize an event you're looking for and automatically create the line.

This will work only as long as you don't change the range of your axes (esp. the X-axis). If you do, then the lines will no longer be in the correct place in relation to your data.

The way I do it is create a seprate series. For example, suppose you're plotting some lab test data with conversion of a chemical compound on a Y-axis (0-100%) and time (in hours) on the x-axis. Now suppose your chemical reactor suffered some upsets during the test (e.g., power outage) at 540, 765, 1200 and 1743 hours, and that you would like to indicate those events on the plot. To do this type the following set of numbers in your spreadsheet (in two columns):

540 0%
540 100%

765 0%
765 100%

1200 0%
1200 100%

1743 0%
1743 100%

540 0%
540 100%

Note: it's important you separate each set of numbers with a blank row, otherwise you will wind up with a sawtooth pattern. Now select the range of cells containing these numbers and add them to you graph as a new series. Next set the line and marker attributes (any type of line is fine, besides none:); I usually select no marker). You will now have vertical lines on you graph that will always be correctly placed in relation to the data. If you don't want the series name to appear as part of the legend, simply select it in the legend and delete it.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
I believe this was the event that caused the sudden rise.

Attachments

• 07_mmiller_27_2.jpg
    07_mmiller_27_2.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 117
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.