Quick Flash question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Blue Velvet, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Is it possible to create content that runs without the browser window?
    i.e. full frame?

Is this something you can specify when you create the content?

The Flash Player seems to only run .swf files within Internet Explorer on the work PC.

I'd like to generate content on the Mac and have it run on a PC & plasma as a full frame presentation. Or do you need the full version of Flash on the playback machine as well?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You shoould be able to open a swf with the Flash Player (stand alone app) which you can make full screen. What happens when you double click the swf? (this is on windows right?)

edit: Mac version of Flash has the same thing. Go to /Applications/Flash MX/Players and open up SAFlashPlayer, then open the swf file and you can go full screen. The Windows exe player is also in there so you can copy that to the PC ;)

3. iGav macrumors G3

Yes.

Go to File, Publish Settings and you create a Projector file there.

4. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Yep, it's on Win2000

Can't find a stand-alone app on Macromedia's site or anywhere.

IT just installed Flash Player but that's linked to IE.

When you double-click on the .swf file it just brings up the 'Open With' box.

5. iGav macrumors G3

You need to create a Projector file (see my instructions above). You can author PC Projectors (.exe) directly from the Mac.

If I recall though, you still need Flash Player installed on the host machine to play back, although I'm not 100% positive on that, as I use Director for this kind of thing. ;)

6. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Thanks for all the help, folks! :)

Will have to mess round with Flash on the Mac when I get home tonight & test it on the work PC tomorrow.

Cheers
    BV

Edit: I'm only asking here 'cos my book hasn't arrived from Amazon yet. :(

7. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

In Flash, you can also add a 'Fullscreen' command to your actionscript. This is for standalone projectors and exes only- it will push the flash to full-screen without any chrome (for kiosks and presentations and such) when a user launches it. Place FS command code in the first or second frame of your main timeline.

Edit: Also, you DON'T need the flash player installed on the PC to run an exe exported from flash. The Projectors or .exes that you export are stanalone- no additional software required.

8. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Thanks. I'll get stuck into this over the following weeks & months (unfortunately I have other work to get out at the same time) -- just needed to know whether it was possible or not.