Quick hard drive question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by calebjohnston, Jan 28, 2006.

1. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Running the disk utility in the utilities folder says that my volume header needs minor repair. It's going to be two days or so until I can boot from the os x cd and fix the problem with the utility thing from that.

my question is... am I okay using my computer like normal until then?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Use fsck. It's better than repairing from the OSX disks because it's kept up to date. :)

3. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

it says to avoid using that when possible though? it tells you to try the other one first

And back to my question; is it okay to keep using it normally until then?

4. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

If you didn't notice any problems before using Disk Utility, I wouldn't worry about it. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a good motto in this case. Don't worry about it until some annoying symptoms begin to manifest.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The warnings aren't so much about running fsck but rather because fsck involves booting up into Safe Mode which can be semi-dangerous if you type the wrong thing. Generally, fsck is better than using the CD because the CD doesn't get updated with Software Updater, it stagnates at the version that was the latest when your machine was new.

Whilst it's safe and probably okay to wait until you get your hands on the disks before repairing, I really think you should just try fsck now. :)

6. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

I agree w/ MJ, Better to fix it NOW, before more serious damage is done. Bad volume headers can lead to corrupted B-Tree nodes & invalid directory structures.....

which, of course, would require the purchase of DiskWarrior (THE #1 utility for that problem) to fix !

7. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I used fsck, and ran it twice. Eventually the message was "your volume Macintosh HD appears to be okay.", so it looks like it fixed the problem. Thanks for taking the time guys, appreciate it.