Quick Help needed with ICHAT AV

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by barbourdg, Feb 15, 2006.

1. barbourdg macrumors member

Not new to mac, but new to these problems.

I have read other threads talking about connection problems with ICHAT AV, and the probably normally runs with the router. I have not tried changing/adding the port numbers, and firewall in my iMac is off.

So my question is, if I bypass my wireless system and plug my IMAC intel directly into my SBC GLobal Modem, and have my family member plug there IMAC G5 into their earthlink modem (bypassing their belkin router) will that fix the problem? The error we were getting over the wireless systems is the same as other threads in this forum, Person is not accepting or responding to video conference (even though it does come through, and we click accept). We have tried both ways, her calling me and me calling her.

When my mother in law first bought her IMAC G5 locally a few weeks ago, it worked just fine on the belkin router in my house. Now that she is back home, her belkin (similar model) is not working with mine. TEXT messages come through fine, but no video or audio.

Any suggestions? We have downloaded the new OSX upgrade last night, that is suppost to fix some of the problems with ICHAT AV. Have not been home to see if that, or bypassing the wireless routers will work.

Robin

2. barbourdg thread starter macrumors member

If anybody has any ideas, please Help!

We did bypass both wireless routers and same problem happen. Both computers have been updated with the new OSX update from yesterday. Still same problem.

Tried turning firewall on and off on both computers and still nothing.

Does apple support this? or only if you buy airport base?

The apple list of compatible routers seems pretty old, do you think running an apple router would fix the problem?

Robin

3. nate macrumors member

My brother and I had the same problem today, but we got it fixed -- it was his firewall (in the D-Link router) that was causing the problem. He was able to go into the router and open some ports.

I found the solution here:

http://www.mvldesign.com/video_conference_tutorial.html

Good luck,

--nate

4. barbourdg thread starter macrumors member

Last notes, to anybody who can help.

The belkin router I use and my mother in law is F5D5231-4. It is not on the apple list. Its the current model by Belkin, and apple has an older one listed.

My error messages are: "did not respond" "cancelled the connection" when trying to connect to video Ichat with the latest OSX operating system.

I found a way to turn off the firewall from the router (through its IP address). But, can not test this until tomorrow.

Was able to add the ports 5060, 5190, 5220, 5222, 5678, 16384-16403 through the belkin IP address (did not try on my imac). I guess it does not matter if you change the ports on the router or the imac (or does it?)

Thanks again for any help. Robin