Quick income tax question....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Jan 25, 2007.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've got a question for any tax experts on here.

I worked at Target in high school, and took a leave of absence for college. At the end of 2005, I went back on leave since winter break was over. Summer 2006, I normally would've been back, but I had an internship at another company instead, so I remained on leave. Later in the summer of 2006, I received a letter from Target HR telling me that I had been on LOA for too long, and to either come back or quit. Well, making that phone call back to HR to tell them I quit was the best phone call I've ever made in my life.

Somehow, when I quit, I had less than an hour, I kid you not, of vacation time. They paid me for that. I made a little over 8 bucks an hour, but this was less than an hour, so the income from that was even less. And by the time the government got their grubby hands on it, my paycheck was literally about 50 cents. And that 50 cents was the only money I made from Target in all of 2006.

I didn't even realize this until I was in the middle of doing my taxes online. And I've yet to receive a W2 form from Target. Should I even be expecting one? Is there a minimum I need to earn from a company before it becomes something I have to declare? I'm just wondering if I can go ahead and file my taxes and receive, and then piss away on crap I don't need, my tax refund, or if I should wait a few more weeks.

Thanks.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

you shouldnt be expecting one. Under a certain amount the goveroment not going to do anything. But because target seem to be a pain you can request one from them. But I would not worry about it.

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I called the IRS hotline just to get confirmation of what you said, and according to them, if I receive any income whatsoever from a company, even if it is 50 cents, that I should be expecting a W2 form....crap.

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

well they have to mail W2's by Jan 31st

5. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, I know they still have time, I was just hoping to get my refund pretty soon.

6. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

You can also fill out a form that for no W-2 received and report the
    $0.50 as other income.

7. hana macrumors regular

Yep....the folks at Target still have time.
    Just like my employer - my full time one of so many years - they regularly wait till January 31. It's a bummer because it is the last thing I'm looking for....to do my taxes.

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

It seems like every place I've ever worked always provided them on the last possible day. At least I always have my 1099's in hand by then.