Quick Leopard question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by someguy, Dec 23, 2006.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I was just thinking about what I'm going to do when Leopard is released, and I have decided either I will sell my PowerBook and get a MacBook, or I will just upgrade my PowerBook to Leopard.

So, my question is if I decide to keep my PowerBook and just buy Leopard, can I (legally)use my Tiger Install DVD to upgrade my iMac G4 (currently 10.3.9) to Tiger seeing as how I would no long have Tiger installed on my PowerBook? Or does it not work that way...?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It doesn't work that way. The OS is licenced to the PowerBook, and not the iMac. Plus, the install discs most likely won't work unless you use a nasty and filthy trick.

3. twentyone macrumors newbie

Well, if it's the actual Tiger install DVD and not the OS reinstallation set that comes new with the Powerbook, I don't see why you couldn't.

4. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

i don't think it's legal, but the Powermac G4 Panther disc that came with my G4, i used to install it on an imac G3, i doubt this will be any different

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Good point. We need to know whether you have a retail Tiger DVD, or an "OEM" version.

6. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

My PowerBook actually came with 10.3.9 installed, and disks included to reinstall Panther and upgrade to Tiger.

I'm pretty sure the Tiger disk I have is just an upgrade disk, but I could be wrong. I can't find the damn thing right now, but I have used it to Archive and Install, if that tells you guys anything.