Quick little Dell 2005 question!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dagless, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Righty so at the moment I have no Mini-DVI to DVI connector so i'm stuck using VGA. only OSX hasn't got the 2005FPW's resolution listed AND there doesn't seem to be anywhere I can put the figures.

any help? I'm guessing theres a little plist file somewhere I have to edit!

2. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

You may be limited as to what screen resolutions you can run over the VGA analog port. You'll have to buy the mini DVI adaptor to get full screen resolution, The picture will be sharper also. Guess you need to get to the Apple store on boxing day!

3. davefan6435 macrumors regular

Yeah just plug it right in there, no adapter is necessary.

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

i think I'll have to! i got some money in cards and that so I'll be going down tomorrow in my new Tom Baker replica doctor who scarf :D ;)

EDIT: anywho, magically its started working. the PowerBook was in sleep, it woke up when I moved the mouse and 1680*1050 appeared in the display options.

still after DVI though. I want the best image I can bloody get :)

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I got my 2005FPW a couple weeks back and when using the the DVI the image is noticeably better looking than VGA, at least it seems that way to me.

6. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

thank you! comments like that encourage me more to get a DVI cable. see just before I was thinking "nah, DVI won't be any better". there wasn't any noticeable difference when using the desktop PC on its 19" monitor with DVI and VGA. but this is a bigger monitor.

7. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I have a 2005fpw on a mac mini via dvi and I couldn't ask for a better picture. before the dell screen I had a viewsonic professional series trinitron crt on my mini via vga. the dell screen blows it away on dvi.

get a dvi cable. trust me.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Jimmi, didn't your PB come with a MiniDVI-DVI converter in the box?

9. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

On all LCDs with DVI, VGA colors are usually washed out and blurry... my Samsung, for example, can't handle gray colors with VGA but DVI its perfect.