Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
im having trouble getting an image to show up on a document in word. it shows as a red x. i go to insert image... then go to file and select the image (which is jpeg) and naturally it should show up but it doesnt. whats going on? other images work... jpegs. one thing i notice though.. is that this image i want to insert doesnt show up in the preview window and the others do. this may be why... but why? its not any large (in size) then the others im trying to insert. odd.

well if you have any idea let me know... just thought i would ask for help here just in case anyones epierenced the same thing.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Do you have EndNote and use Cute While You Write (CWYW)? If so, as a test, quit Word, remove the EndNote files (2 of them) in the Office Startup folder, then start Word and see if you can put your image in. Did that work?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
krossfyter said:
i have no idea if i have end note.... i never heard of that. how can i find it?
End Note is a commercial citation management add-on for Microsoft Word. If you did not buy it and no one gave it to you, then you don't have it.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Have a look in the Help files - I seem to remember that it has something to do with the type of image - ie CMYK or RGB. Use Photoshop to change it, then re-save it as a jpg again - it should then work when inserted into your Word document.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
stevep said:
Have a look in the Help files - I seem to remember that it has something to do with the type of image - ie CMYK or RGB. Use Photoshop to change it, then re-save it as a jpg again - it should then work when inserted into your Word document.

One more idea...does the image in question have a .jpg extension? (Since it doesn't show up in the file dialog.)

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
I have noticed that Microsoft Word 2004 as problems with JPG's, it tends not to display the image or it only gives you a black rectangle where the image should be.

I solved the problem by saving in Photoshop's own PSD format. MS Word does tend to change the colours slighty of an image, but I am sure that this can be corrected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.