quick microsoft word help....

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by krossfyter, Apr 10, 2005.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

im having trouble getting an image to show up on a document in word. it shows as a red x. i go to insert image... then go to file and select the image (which is jpeg) and naturally it should show up but it doesnt. whats going on? other images work... jpegs. one thing i notice though.. is that this image i want to insert doesnt show up in the preview window and the others do. this may be why... but why? its not any large (in size) then the others im trying to insert. odd.

well if you have any idea let me know... just thought i would ask for help here just in case anyones epierenced the same thing.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Do you have EndNote and use Cute While You Write (CWYW)? If so, as a test, quit Word, remove the EndNote files (2 of them) in the Office Startup folder, then start Word and see if you can put your image in. Did that work?

3. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i have no idea if i have end note.... i never heard of that. how can i find it?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

End Note is a commercial citation management add-on for Microsoft Word. If you did not buy it and no one gave it to you, then you don't have it.

5. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Have a look in the Help files - I seem to remember that it has something to do with the type of image - ie CMYK or RGB. Use Photoshop to change it, then re-save it as a jpg again - it should then work when inserted into your Word document.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

One more idea...does the image in question have a .jpg extension? (Since it doesn't show up in the file dialog.)

7. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

I have noticed that Microsoft Word 2004 as problems with JPG's, it tends not to display the image or it only gives you a black rectangle where the image should be.

I solved the problem by saving in Photoshop's own PSD format. MS Word does tend to change the colours slighty of an image, but I am sure that this can be corrected.