Quick modem help

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dogday, Dec 10, 2004.

1. dogday macrumors member

dogday

Hi, I just bought Airport express and now I need a ADSl modem as I only have a USB at the moment. Will this Modem be sufficient? Ie, will it work with Airport express and what does USB ports mean? Anyone have one or give feedback?

Any help is greatfully recieved, thanks

2. Maxicek macrumors regular

3. dogday thread starter macrumors member

dogday

That certainly looks good, but the modem on my PC is USB, so I don't know how I would link this up?

4. Maxicek macrumors regular

Ok, rewind a bit...

What kit do you have? Airport Express, PC, anything else?

How do you want to connect the PC? Wirelessly? Does it have a network card / wireless capability already, of is it just USB?

And what do you want to use the Airport Extreme for? Airtunes? Wireless printing? To create a wireless network?

5. dogday thread starter macrumors member

dogday

Lol, sorry.

Currently I have a iBook with no internet connection, I'm bought the AE for wireless internet to the ibook, wireless printing and occasional Airtunes.

On my PC, using wanadoo, I was supplied the Speedtouch USB modem (spits) so there in no way to connect the modem to AE, so I'm going to have to buy a ethernet modem to connect to AE to have wireless internet on the ibook.

6. Maxicek macrumors regular

My recommendation:

- Bin the USB modem.
    - Buy the DG834. It has the advantage of having a hardware firewall as well.
    - Ethernet cable PC to Netgear Router. Alternatively buy a wireless card for the PC.
    - Ethernet cable Airport Express to router.
    - Wireless iBook to Airport Express.

This is basically what I am planning when I get an Airport Expess in the New Year.

Hope this helps.