Quick one about Archive and Install.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Brother Michael, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

I found an older post here about formatting and doing a clean install vs an archive install.

I opted for an Archive install.

I am getting this wierd feeling about it now though. What was deleted and what wasn't?

I see now that my home directory is was totally restored (TOTALLY RADICAL BTW!!! :D ) I also saw that all my applications i the apps folder were salvaged. A Blessing and a Curse for now...what else wasn't removed that is going to rear it's ugly head at me?

I did this because I thought I ruined my PHP and MySQL servers. I see that the /usr/local directory is clean now which is a good thing since that is where the bad PHP and MySQL stuff was.

But what else? Does the Archive install just keep the home directory and the Applications Directory? If need be I'll do a clean install I mean I have all the files backed up on my Windows machine (which of course means they are no safer than they are on my Mac with my trigger happy formatting finger :p )

Mike

2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

I think it keeps your library too in a folder named 'old' or some name. I have only done it once, so I do not remember clearly.

3. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Archive install just replaces the System folder AKA the brains of the Operating System. It keeps the Applications folder, and I believe the User folders, thus why it seemed to have saved your stuff, because it was never deleted to begin with. You should fine something called "old system" or something to that nature on your hard drive.