Quick one about Targus Bags

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Brother Michael, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

What are the thoughts and opinions on them?

I have seen some that ran for about 30-40 dollars and thought that they looked like a good deal. Plus the cheaper ones just look like a normal backpack which is something that I like. I just want something simple and effective, that can carry my notebook, my books, and perhaps my camcorder on lab days. They seemed to have space for all of that.

http://www.targus.com/global/splash.aspx

There's their home site in case you forgot.

Mike

2. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

I have a backpack shaped Targus bag, and I've beat it up and thrown it around quite a bit over the past 3 years of school, but it is still in great shape. I find that I can fit a day's worth of textbooks into it (10-12" thick or so) as well as my iBook. I like the bag, and apparently my school did too, as now all freshmen who are required to lease laptops through the school also are given Targus bags. Just my twelve cents.

3. Brother Michael thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Alright that is good news to hear! So I assume that the padding on the bottom is good enough?

Also what school?

Mike

4. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

There seems to be enough padding. I wouldn't recommend dropping the backpack from excessive heights though :)

University of Wisconsin - Stout is the school that's taking my money these days :)

5. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

I recommend this backpack to everyone because I feel that this is the best notebook backpack that I have used (I have owned 5 notebook backpacks).

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10344693&loc=101&sp=1

The padding on the bottom is important, but it is also important that the padding on the bottom and sides are covered with durable, waterproof material and this backpack offers that protection.
    Also, there are enough pockets that are just the right size to carry accessories as well as school stuff.
    If I had to buy another backpack and no SIGNIFICANT improvement was made, I would definitely buy this backpack again. I have no regrets what-so-ever on this item and that kind of satisfaction is hard to come by from me.

This is made by Targus. Only indication of Sony relation is the word VAIO.

6. Brother Michael thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Thank you both. I like that VAIO packback, and I am planning on getting a ZeroShock from Shinza as well.

I am going to go to some stores tomorrow and compare that back to some I see.

Thanks guys!
    Mike

7. Brother Michael thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Actually, few more on these packs:

1) Says it holds up to a 15" screen. So how do the 12" books fit? I mean does that extra space cause some sort of problem? :confused:

2) How well do they hold up in the rain? I mean it happens, and I don't want my little buddy getting destroyed.

Mike

8. Brother Michael thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

I went out and got a Targus Elite today at my local Mircocenter. I took my iBook with me and "tried it on for size"

The iBook fits very snuggly in it mainly do to the small fact that there are really really big pads on the inside that add some shock resistance.

I like it a lot. Set me back $70 but if it will protect me little buddy then it was money well spent!

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

Mike