Quick Photoshop upgrade question.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dr. Dastardly, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    My aunt just told me that she has an old copy of Photoshop 4 for the Mac and was wondering if I would be interested. I want to take it and upgrade to the recently released CS2 and was wondering if there would be any issues. I'm currently running 10.3.8 and I'm thinking that the program would need OS9 to load and run. Am I wrong with that assumption?
    I'm sure I will be able to upgrade no problem but I'm kinda looking for info of people that have updated really old Photoshop programs to recent ones.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004

With the last release of Adobe CS (1), they had a flat charge to upgrade from any version of Photoshop regardless how old that version was.

First, to avoid any potential activation problems, you have to ensure that the version she has is either unregistered or that the registration is transferred to you. Activation ensures that you'll only be able to install it on a max. of 2 computers. For more on activation, read this:

This is from Adobe's site.

Preorder Adobe Creative Suite 2 Premium Upgrade from Photoshop
    To install this upgrade successfully, you will need a licensed version of Adobe Photoshop CS or Photoshop 7.0 or earlier on the same platform as this purchase. CD-ROM Windows/Macintosh
    (My emphasis)

If it was me, I'd call Adobe because after all, you're trying to do this legitimately.

Customer service in the U.S. and Canada
    Adobe desktop products and volume licensing
    6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Pacific time,
    seven days a week
  3. Dr. Dastardly thread starter macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    Thanks for the input. I talked to Adobe and all and actually found out that I can get a full copy for a little under $300 because I'm a taking some courses at the local college and qualify for the student discount. I might just do that and have a full fledged copy just for less headaches with processing and for full version giggles.

Thanks for the input Blue! :p