Quick Poll: How has your iTunes 7 upgrade been?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by irregardless, Sep 19, 2006.

?

iTunes 7: Thrillin or Chillin?

Poll closed Oct 19, 2006.
  1. Feelin' fine. No problems of consequence.

176 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. A few snags here and there. Could have been smoother.

60 vote(s)
    23.4%
  3. Piece of..... I'm going back to iTunes 6.

20 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. irregardless macrumors member

:) Mine's been nearly flawless. I haven't experienced many of the bugs some other people have. Though Apple did change the AppleScript dictionary definition, which broke my Last.fm iscrobbler plug-in (now updated) and rendered a couple of my AppleScripts useless.

It's been a week, how's your experience been?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No problems, it's a little sluggish sometimes but my computer's not much chop anymore.

Plugging my 3G iPod in froze my computer but it's done that for nearly a year so no surprises there.

3. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

Biggest headache for me has been the album art. And some frontrow issues but since I shouldn't have frontrow I can't really complain.

4. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

My problems seem to be all self-imposed. I was big into making mixed songs discs around 2001 and didnt bother to put song info on these discs. iTunes and cddb dont do a good job indentifying these songs and the subsequent album art. I have about 100+ in my library so it is not an easy task. I guess I need to do 5 a day and eventually I will get it done.

5. iflipper macrumors member

A few snags like some album art missing (even major stuff) and it crashed on mac mini yesterday. Had to restore and reload my nano to get the album art to actually be transferred to the device.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's been fine on my Macs but a little slow on my PCs. I don't use any of the new features yet, but I appreciate the interface change (not that 6.0 was necessarily bad).

Get Disk Utility to verify your iPod's hard drive, if you haven't already. It might be crashing because of a bad hard drive, or because you smell bad. :cool:

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nah, it's fine, just old and fragile from the beating I gave it in Canada (somehow it didn't like going from -30°C to +20°C several times a day..) and I just use it to hold my music while I use my shuffle/mini/nano as regular music players.

It only crashes the computer on the first plug in, once I've restarted the Mac with my 3G plugged in everything's tickety-boo.

8. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I like the interface changes in 7, but i noticed that now my video podcasts are saved in the podcast directory instead not their own specific folder under podcasts like in 6. Audio podcasts don't have a problem.

9. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

No problems. Visualiser could be a bit smoother thought (maybe 10.4.8 will help sort that?).

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

No problems, whatsoever...

A couple of new things to get used to, that's all... :)

11. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

It's been fine. I'm really really pleased with iTunes 7.

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

13. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Ditto

Best free software ever.

14. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

15. mdickson macrumors regular

ditto

16. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

17. Attonine macrumors 6502a

I find it a little sluggish on my 17"MBP 2GB RAM. A lot of album art was missing, but just spent time getting it from other sources; I don't think this is a problem with iTunes, more my mix of music not available for sale in the UK iTunes store.......yet.

A few problems I've experienced are: Sometimes the view will not change until I move the curser off of the icon; occasionaly, when using the "cover browser" odd artwork immages are slow in loading up.

18. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

I really love the new cover flow view, though it still doesn't handle the ordering of albums as intelligently as I'd like. I can't seem to get a view where it generally sorts by artist, but also keeps multi-artist compilations together. Also, I'd really like to sort albums by year within each artist. That's how I used to have my CD collection sorted, back in the stone age before MP3 took over. :D

Aside from that, I ran into the problem with Airtunes not connecting if you'd turned off IPv6. I still can't imagine why they did that, unless it was some obscure bug due to oversight.

Also having problems with podcast syncing, but I don't know if it's new to version 7. I just subscribed to a new podcast I found, and downloaded all 86 back episodes. My iPod is really really full (about 260 MB free), so there's not enough room for all the episodes. No problem, I thought, and I checked the option to sync only the latest 3 unplayed episodes (where's the option to sync the earliest N episodes, if I want to listen strictly in order from the beginning??).

No dice. iTunes continued to complain that there wasn't enough space. I had to turn off podcast syncing altogether, and go in to check/uncheck the podcast episodes that I wanted on the iPod. I was able to get about 20 episodes on using this method, so the error message about not enough room for 3 was completely bogus. However, this really screws with the automatic syncing of my other podcasts, as now I have to go in and explicitly check/uncheck episodes of those as they come in and I listen to them. Plus, manually checked podcasts don't show up in the Podcasts menu on the iPod, so I had to make a smart playlist to find them easily.

I gotta go write up a bug report on that one.

Otherwise it's been good... GAPLESS more than makes up for all of the above (for those who remember my old signature here). ;)

19. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

POS and i'm going (already did) go back to iTunes 6. The sound was just terrible and no fixes worked so it wasn't really by choice that i switched back. When iTunes 7.0.1 rolls around i'll give it a whirl. The actual design i like though ;)

20. irregardless thread starter macrumors member

iTunes 7 does that. In list view, click on the Album header. It'll switch between Album, Album by Artist (each artist's album sorted alphabetically), and Album by Year (each artist's album sorted chronologically). Click the triangle to reverse the sorting order.

21. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

I did see the different sort options (and I've been using Album by Artist), but I could have sworn the Album by Year did not factor artist into the sort order - ie, it was all albums from 1980, then all albums from 1981, etc, regardless of artist. Am I remembering right, or was I just smoking crack that day? :p

I don't have iTunes in front of me right now, but I'll check it again when I get home.

22. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I can't remember seeing such a division in users that either can or can't use a program.

Weird how it works on my system but it, either skips, doesn't play, crashes ect..other people's systems...

I feel for those who can't use it, cuz when it works, it is sooo great..