Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JJLT76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
can anyone tell me if Audacity is legal, because my friend has it and its a cool program, but he once told me that limewire was totally legal and i dont really trust him on this.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Audacity is legal. Using it to copy music you don't own is not. If you are using it to edit your own music, or copy your LP's or cassette tapes you are morally in the clear.

Angrist

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2005
MI or NJ
can anyone tell me if Audacity is legal, because my friend has it and its a cool program, but he once told me that limewire was totally legal and i dont really trust him on this.

Looks legal to me.

As a side note ... Limewire itself IS totally legal. In that all it is is a program that allows users to share data. If you were an independent musician and you wanted to use Limewire to distribute a demo tape, thats perfectly legal. However most people do use Limewire (and other P2P) to share copyrighted works ... which is usually a violation of somebody else's IP rights.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
Emptycup is right on, the program itself is legal but using it to copy music you down own not legal.

JJLT76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Thanks

thanks to all the replies, i went on and downloaded it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.