Quick question about .90 nm

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jihad the movie, Jun 9, 2004.

1. jihad the movie macrumors regular

Jun 18, 2003
    Smugtown, NY
    It appears as though the motherboards on the new G5s are the same as the older G5's, would it be possible to upgrade my 1.3nm dual 1.8 G5 to the .90nm 2.5 G5 a few years down the road? I don't know the specifics on this stuff, so I was just wondering. Thanks!
  2. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Tacoma, WA
    The 1.8 and 2.0 GHz models use the same motherboard as before, but the 90nm use a different mobo. The pin connections might be the same however, leaving the new mobo design for cooling.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    As a quick note, your 1.3nm would actually be 130nm and your .90nm would be 90nm. These were also known as 0.13 microns and 0.09 microns. ;)
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    The motherboard is probably the same on all of them, most likely.

The 2.5GHz most likely has redesigned daughtercards to help cool the hotter chips -- along with the liquid cooling.

And yes, they are hotter -- even though they crank out the same amount of heat.

The die shrink actually means that they are putting out the same amount of heat from less silicon -- ie, the heat generated per cm^3 went up.

The liquid cooling was probably added to draw heat out of the chip package (the thing the CPU's silicon is in) quicker.
  5. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2003
    Since when have Apple offered CPU upgrades for their motherboards? It has always been 3rd party vendors to offer CPU upgrades, so they would be the ones to figure out what can be done and what cannot.

My guess is that with the amount of heat generated by CPUs these days, 3rd party vendors are going to have to work for their money instead of just cobbling together faster processors on the same old CPU cards and selling it. They are going to have to figure out how to cool the CPUs too.
  6. jihad the movie thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 18, 2003
    Smugtown, NY
    Sorry. Yeah, that would be a little small.
  7. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2004
    I'd say the chips are pin compatible. After all, AMD stayed socket A when they changed 0.18 to 0.13 on the Athlon XP, and Intel stayed Socket478 when they went 0.13 Northwood to 0.09 Prescott on the P4.
  8. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2003
    You might be able to, but it would probably be a pain.