Quick Question about Best Buy

Discussion in 'Community' started by neoelectronaut, Sep 1, 2004.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Does Best Buy offer Price Protection?

I bought a GBASP at my local Best Buy last thursday, at $99.99.

Nintendo is lowering the price of the SP to $79.99 taking effect tomorrow.

Can I go to Best Buy tomorrow and claim the $20 difference?

2. brett33 macrumors member

While I can't say for certain that they still do, they did about a year and a half ago.

When the 3G iPods were itroducted I bought my girlfried a 10GB 2G for $199, and then about a week or so later I found them at Target for $99. So I went back to BB and they called Target to verify that it was in stock and then refunded $110 plus the tax difference, so I ended up getting that iPod for $90. I then went to Target and bought them out at the $99 price.

Anyway, I'd imagine the same thing would work for you.

3. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I'm pretty sure Best Buy offers a 14 or 30 day price protection policy. You probably will have no problem getting them to refund the difference.

4. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Thanks, I guess I'll stop off on the way home from college tomorrow. Thanks for the N-fo.

5. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Okay now here's another question.

The price was $99.99. I had a gift card worth $15, which I used, which brought the price to around $93 (Which was post-tax)

Are they going to give me the difference of $79.99 and $99.99, or the difference of $79.99 and $93?

6. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

the gift cards are like money.. Anytime ive returned something bought with a gift card i got the full amount back...

7. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Okay, one last question and I promise this'll be it.

I don't recall if they've done this in the past or not, but as soon as Nintendo says they've lowered the MSRP to $79.99, Best Buy will lower their price too, correct? Nintendo says they're putting that into effect on September 2nd. Should I expect it to be that price tomorrow?

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

They should give you the $20 difference. If for some reason they don't, return it, getting $99.99 in cash or credit, then turn around and buy it again at the new price. Finally, if they haven't lowered the price, bring proof of the price elsewhere and get it for $79.99 based on their price guarantee.

9. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I doubt they'll give me a complete refund--It's already been opened, and it's one I got from an exchange for another.

10. Apmonia macrumors regular

Okay, here's the deal....I work for Best Buy and they will take back your Gameboy SP if you want them to, there is a thirty day return policy. They will also price match it for you as well (which is what I would do) and the price does into effect tomorrow. I work in the media department (software, video games, music, dvds, etc) and had to print the signs tonight before I left. So either way you go, you will get the new price.

I hope that helps,
    Apmonia

11. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Sweet. From the horse's mouth. (Not to call you a horse)

I'll just get them to match the price. No need to go through the whole hassle of returning it then rebuying it. lol.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Its such a dumb question (no offense, really :eek: ) that people always seem to ask.

Almost every store price matches for as long as the Return policy lasts, especially the larger stores. This could be 14 days, 30 days, whatever. It depends on the store. Why do they do this? Because a price match is exactly the same thing as someone returning something for a full refund, and then buying the item at the cheaper sale price. They're just saving you the trouble. Maybe the smaller stores haven't figured it out and don't care, but the bigger chain stores know the deal.

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It also saves the store. If you return and rebuy something, likely already opened, they are stuck with an item they can only sell for a lower price (as an "returned, open" item). They also have to pay for the store overhead in handling returns (employee time to handle, relabel, restock, update inventory records, etc.). Adjusting the previous price and handing you a few bucks is much better for them.

For the most part, price guarantees are a "peace of mind" issue that convince people to buy without comparison shopping. I suspect that most people don't compare prices elsewhere, or come back for their price-difference refund if they see it elsewhere for a little less, so Best Buy actually makes more money overall than if they didn't have the guarantee.

14. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Wow, lemme run down the whole story for you.

I started college last week, and theres a 2 hour, 30 minute break between my first and second classes. With nothing to do, I decided to get me a GBA SP. (Since my girlfriend has my old model GBA currently.)

So I head to my local Best Buy, because I have a $15 gift card from a previous printer purchase that I'd like to use with it.

I stop in Tuesday evening. (My classes are Tuesdays and Thursdays)

Now, I'd really like one of the "Retro" GBA SPs, because I had a NES as a kid (and still do) and it's just part of my childhood.

So I head in Tuesday, and there's none of the Retro SPs on the shelf. I ask and associate: "Will ya'll be getting in any of the old NES style GBAs anymore?"

He says: "Check back tomorrow."

So I show up Wednesday. None on the shelf.

I ask another associate the question I asked the previous day.

"Check back tomorrow, the shipments usually come in on Thursday."

So I leave, a little dismayed. I decide to myself that I'll get the platinum, no matter what.

So I head back Thursday after class. Of course, after I've put myself up to getting the platinum GBA, there they are, about 5 of the Retro SPs on the shelf. So I quickly lap one up and bring it home.

I enjoyed that GBA all through the weekend and Tuesday, were I truely put it to the test.

Tuesday night I was playing it under my bright desk lamp when I noticed something. One of the pixels stayed blue at all times.

Now this wouldn't bother most people, but I'm a techno geek and if I saw it once, it'd stick out from now on like a sore thumb. So I decide to bring the GBA back to Best Buy for a replacement, once again putting myself up to getting the platinum if I have to.

So I head back to Best Buy Wednesday, GBA in tow, to get a replacement. I exchange it for a platinum since there are none of the retro ones left. I leave, this time with a $10 replacement plan, just to appease myself.

I take it home, play it a little, and then hop on the 'net for my usual duties.

That's when I see the news story on IGN.

"Nintendo announces it will lower the price of the GBA SP to $79.99, taking effect September 2nd."

So I figger, well, guess I better go get my $20 back.

So I stop by today after school.

Of course, fate gives me the finger once again.

There on the shelf are about 6 GBA SPs. The Retro kind.

So, in addition to getting the $20 back, I leave Best Buy with the 3rd Game Boy I've gotten in the span of a week.

And now I have the Retro one again, and I'm back where I started.

Now I haven't played it yet, but I hope to god there's nothing wrong with this one.

15. radhak macrumors regular

But does not work uniformly : At OfficeDepot, Notebook PCs, LCD projectors, PDAs, Digital Cameras cannot be returned, but, instead may only be exchanged for the same item within 14 days of purchase. So the 'price match' may not be allowed there...