Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
With all the hoopla regarding the upcoming Jaguar release, the question begs to be asked:

Which is ithe proper pronounciation 'JAG-you-er' as the Brits say or "ja-"gwär?" (the common American way).

I want to be able to pronounce the word correctly when I order the upgrade to OSX. (I still can't say it the British way properly)

Some other car names I am unsure of:

1. "NISS-ahn" or "NEE-sahn,"?

2. "POR-shuh" or "Porsch"?

3. "Hun-DAY" or "Hun-DIE"?

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
LOL
There is no right way to say it... just which ever way your country's/local dialect pronounces it.

I'm sure no one will mind :)

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
Re: Quick question about Cheetah...I mean Jaguar

just call it jagwire and flash your reg shirt and they'll know what you mean :D :D

Originally posted by taeclee99
2. "POR-shuh" or "Porsch"?

'por-shuh' is correct...I believe that all the vowels are supposed to be pronounced...asumming that is a German pronounciation that you're trying to conform too

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Well, in the US it's pronounced
"Jag-you-are" or "ja-gwär". In England, it's pronounced "Jag-wer"... Which leaves the question, where the f*ck is Steve Jobs from?

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Cockneys call Jaguar's 'Jags'....... only toffs say 'Jag-u-ahh'........ as in.... "I've got a Jag" but if you're from the home counties you'd say.... "One own's a Jag-u-ahh" heh heh.......

But as the forthcoming OSX is codenamed 'Jaguar' then that's what I'll call it....... pronounced Jag-u-er but that's because I'm english......... I say feel free to call it what you want.......

As for Porsche..... well I usually pronounce it like Porsh, although the US seems to say Porsh-er or Por-shuh (as written below) which I kind of like........ :)

As for Hyundai....... I pronounce it like it reads..... High-un-die I think this is abit of an english thing as well......

Countach was also one that got people muddled.......... some people said 'Coon-tash' others 'Coun-tack' any takers........??:p

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Us Aussies (in all out lazy pronunciation glory) pronounce it "Jag-you-uh"

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by sluthy

Eh?:confused: Since when did we pronounce Jaguar "Jau-you-uh"?
Heh oops :) Should be "Jag-you-uh" I'll fix that up... damn typos!

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Originally posted by iGAV

Countach was also one that got people muddled.......... some people said 'Coon-tash' others 'Coun-tack' any takers........??:p

he he, why not start talking aboug Greenwich and Southwark? :p

I call X.2 Jag-u-er, Porsche i call Porsch, and Hyundai high-un-dy. Exactly how they sound ;)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by britboy

he he, why not start talking aboug Greenwich and Southwark? :p

I call X.2 Jag-u-er, Porsche i call Porsch, and Hyundai high-un-dy. Exactly how they sound ;)

heh heh....... that could get confusing........ :p actually Manhatten has Greenwich Village, must say... I never noticed how they pronounced it......

Southwark will get them all........ :p :p :p

mr.w

macrumors regular
May 17, 2002
Colorado
Re: Quick question about Cheetah...I mean Jaguar

Originally posted by taeclee99
With all the hoopla regarding the upcoming Jaguar release, the question begs to be asked:

Which is ithe proper pronounciation 'JAG-you-er' as the Brits say or "ja-"gwär?" (the common American way).

I want to be able to pronounce the word correctly when I order the upgrade to OSX. (I still can't say it the British way properly)

(Jag-Wire) maybe???

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
As for Porsche..... well I usually pronounce it like Porsh, although the US seems to say Porsh-er or Por-shuh (as written below) which I kind of like........ :)

That's a funny subject... it's always amusing, how the brand-names from different countries (and therefore languages) are pronounced, most times not accurate at all... ;) We also have some good screw-ups here in Germany. Since we are at car manufacturers, one of the all-time favourites is Citroën from France

If you want to pronounce Porsche right, the first thing you should keep in mind is that the german R is not pronounced as "chewy" as in english. You pronounce it more with the throat than with the tip of your tongue. A litte bit like the C in "call", but you don't completely close the little slit letting the air through with your tongue. The E in Porsche is pronounced clearly and is comparable to sound of the E in "mellow". :)

But maybe not a good idea to pronounce it the german way in your own country... it could cause misunderstandings, since some people don't understand you anymore! :D

Same could happen to Volkswagen or Mercedes pronounciation! ;)

groovebuster

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Originally posted by groovebuster
If you want to pronounce Porsche right, the first thing you should keep in mind is that the german R is not pronounced as "chewy" as in english. You pronounce it more with the throat than with the tip of your tongue. A litte bit like the C in "call", but you don't completely close the little slit letting the air through with your tongue. The E in Porsche is pronounced clearly and is comparable to sound of the E in "mellow". :)

Tja. Da haben wir es :)

That pretty much clears it up (translation)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by groovebuster

That's a funny subject... it's always amusing, how the brand-names from different countries (and therefore languages) are pronounced, most times not accurate at all... ;) We also have some good screw-ups here in Germany. Since we are at car manufacturers, one of the all-time favourites is Citroën from France

But maybe not a good idea to pronounce it the german way in your own country... it could cause misunderstandings, since some people don't understand you anymore! :D

Same could happen to Volkswagen or Mercedes pronounciation! ;)

groovebuster

Yeah.. I know how Germans pronounce Porsche...... :p one of my friends is German, and we were going through this the other day...... my lady is also Austrian.... so I get and even weirder take on that from her....... :p

German is one of the languages I really like........... and one I really regret not following through with after school........ I just love the sound of it........ I think it's a much nicer sounding language than French......

Eww...... :p

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...

Yeah.. I know how Germans pronounce Porsche...... :p one of my friends is German, and we were going through this the other day...... my lady is also Austrian.... so I get and even weirder take on that from her....... :p

German is one of the languages I really like........... and one I really regret not following through with after school........ I just love the sound of it........ I think it's a much nicer sounding language than French......

Eww...... :p

Austrians are really another subject! ;)

The european French sounds a little bit "gay". Try the canadian French! It doesn't sound as if you have a stick in your butt. And they also curse much better! :D But maybe I am biased because my wife is french canadian. ;)

groovebuster

P.S.: I prefer the british English, but since I am surrounded by North Americans all the time it's rubbing of and I sound like a walking chewing-gum meanwhile! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.