quick question about iPad 1

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by No1up, Apr 21, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Feb 7, 2009
    I was looking in to getting a cheap tablet like the kindle fire for reading, and such. Well one thing leads to another does it not? I can, for about $30 more dollars, $230.00 get an iPad 1. However I was wondering how well this unit still functioned. I mean it has been years since I owned one and I am sure iOS 5.1 is much different. Should I invest in to the iPad 2? I mean I am just going to use it for simple reading, browsing, maybe some Documents with Pages, and simple games. I can play 3d games on my xbox or macbook. So I guess what I want to know is.

Does the unit run smooth, or is it jerky?
    How is the browser, is it smooth, or do you still see the check board a lot?
    Should I just buy the iPad 2?

Thanks fellas, and ladies :) (in advanced)
  2. macrumors 6502

Mar 14, 2012
    Buy the refurb 2. I gave my 1's to my kids. After trying to use them after buying a 2 and 3, it's unbearable. Slow as hell. And crashes all the time on ios 5. You'll regret buying a 1. Trust me! A 2 is the way to go.
  3. macrumors 6502

Mar 14, 2011
    I have not had any issues with iBooks or with Kindle, on my iPad 1. If you are seeing the checkerboard that is a sign of a slow Internet connection, in my opinion. Get a faster ISP. The browser is an issue as in my opinion it runs out of memory quite often, and crashes back to the home screen. This is very noticble on sites with lots of images, if most of the sites are like the forum here it will be less of an issue. Hope that helps.
  4. macrumors newbie

Jan 2, 2008
    I LOVE my "new" iPad 1

My grandson just bought himself a new iPad 3 and I inherited his original iPad 1. Sure, no camera, but I have a good camera. The camera connection kit (bought on ebay) is great for transferring photos. I bought Pages and Numbers ($10 each) and I can take notes, put stuff on my Dropbox, read books - it's wonderful! I have a Mac Pro and Macbook Pro (older versions also) but it's pretty nice to be able to take this "little" thing along in the car or on the plane and use the internet and read, etc., without having stacks of messy papers, etc. Anyhow, I'm totally happy with this version, and Google Earth is great fun, along with lots of stuff. Sure, it's slower than the new ones, but I really don't need to move so "fast" all the time. When you're reading a page on the Internet, how fast do you need to move to the next one? And once you learn the moves to go from one thing to another - yes, there was a learning curve - it's really great! (I did get a bluetooth keyboard/case for it too, on ebay - and that's wonderful for working on documents.) Most important thing is to learn how to use the apps fully. Hope this helps.
  5. macrumors member

Apr 28, 2012
    iPad 1

I have a iPad 1 and 3, i had an offer to sell it but kept it for book reading. Yes the 3 is brilliant and crisp compared to the 1 but for book reading the 1 is fine. I also have some old games such as Kingdom rush that look good on the 1. So if you can get a 1 for cheap to read books etc then i say 'go for it'.