Quick question about Mac/iPod education rebate (UK)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nat3503, Sep 6, 2005.

1. nat3503 macrumors newbie

On Saturday I received my 12-inch iBook and a 20 Gb iPod. I'm sorting out everything I need to send off for my £100 educational rebate, and I need to cut out the UPC labels on both products. I see two labels on each product - one on the brown cardboard box of each item (it contains the part number but no product description), and one on the colourful box that was inside the aforementioned brown cardboard box, which contains the product, and which has more information on (including the product description).

Which label do I cut out? I thought it was the one on the brown cardboard box, because I presumed Apple wouldn't want us to cut out the other boxes that actually contain the items, but it doesn't have a product description on.

Sorry if that doesn't make any sense, and thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

2. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

I've got exactly the same problem waiting for when I get home tonight, I'll let you know if I have any inspirartion on the subject.

3. nat3503 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I just went back to the coupon (http://images.apple.com/uk/education/backtoschool/pdf/BTS_StudentUnionCouponUK.pdf) and zoomed in on the example UPC label so that it practically filled up the window. From looking at it I'm 100% sure that it's the product box that we need to get the UPC label from, not the outer cardboard box. That's because in the example, it shows the part number and serial number with their bar codes, then beneath them it shows more numbers and an Ethernet ID. Mine has an Airport and Bluetooth ID, from what I can remember, and in general looks a lot more like the example than the label on the outer cardboard box does.

I'm going with the product box - I attempted to cut the label off of my iBook box with nail scissors as they were all I could find, and it didn't work too well! Even with sharp kitchen scissors it gave my hand a cramp.

4. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

I cut out both the one on the outer box and the inner box, just to be sure I got the right one.

5. assscat macrumors regular

I phoned Apple to clarify this a few weeks ago.

Apple want the ones on the Apple packaging, not the ones on the brown boxes the Apple boxes were shipped in. This is presumably to prevent people peeling off labels from instore (without buying the products) and making a claim.

So I'm afraid you'll have to cut the nice packaging, but if you do it carefully with a very sharp knife, it doesn't cause too much damage!