Quick question about noise

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by willyhunt, Jan 9, 2005.

1. willyhunt macrumors member

willyhunt

Hi, I was going to buy an iMac but am now tempted by the SP 1.8 PowerMac. Anyway I am big on noise - or lack off being better. So what I want to know is whats quiter? The iMac G5 or the Powermac? I have been into store to try and have a listen but its impossible. So any advice would be great.

2. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

I *believe* the iMac is quieter, but the Power Mac is also very quiet. If you're worried about noise, I don't think either of them will bother you. Just don't get a MDD G4, because they are known as the loudest Power Mac ever!

Daniel

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

The iMac will be quieter than any powermac. However there are some reports that there are some imacs that have bad fans. Mine has this also. What happens is that the fan is not loud but rather it has a high pitch to it.

4. willyhunt thread starter macrumors member

willyhunt

When you say high pitch do you mean like CD Drive running or higher? Also I had a G4 Quicksilver on loan for a couple of weeks and I would have to say that it was awful (I mean my PC is quite loud - even with quite case, but nothing like the G4) I also owned a G3 iMac back in the day but I believe that was fanless?

5. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

No. It's not really loud. It sounds like a little r/c plane flying in your computer. Apple say they are working on a fix for the problem but they have been saying that since about October.

6. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

The CD drive is really quiet. The noise comes from the processor fan, probably a bad bearing. Since it's the processor the noise will vary up and down which makes it more noticeable. However I don't think this is a reason not to buy an imac as there are really quiet ones.

Note: it seems as if reports of noise are much more evident of the 17".
    For more info just go on the Apple discussions.