Quick Question about Terrorism, possible trend?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by XNine, Mar 6, 2006.

1. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
  2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Oooh, you're such a tease!

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I know, you shouldn't peak our curiosities like that ;).

e

4. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

I was basically wondering if any terrorist actions happened involving al quaeda during George Sr.'s tenure in office, but it looks like the two biggest ones happened in Clinton's reign, so it doesn't look like there's a trend for the Bush's...

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the soviets didn't w/draw from afghanistan until 1989, so muslim fighters there were occcupied until then (no pun intended).

found this at wikipedia:
    i don't think it's unreasonable to draw a link between g hw bush's middle east adventure and the first WTC bombings.

6. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Onizuka

I guess the answer would depend on the 'clip level' that meets your definition of 'terrorist actions'.

Would one car bomb count? If so, I think the actions would be too numerous to count.

[clipped - reread the quote - me silly]

I only ask because this is a really funky metric to define - and, unfortunately, you caught me during a day the requires me to think defining metrics for work - sorry :)

7. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

Well, it would only really relate to the mid-east hatred for the US in the last couple of decades, and a car bomb (which inflicted harm or death) or hostage taking, or whatever else could be defined in this.

My father told me (and he's a right wing kinda guy, and I don't know if he's nuts or telling the truth here) said that the third guy in the OK City bombing was a recruiter or some-such from al quaeda who used a "pinkback" (or, citizen of the USA) to carry out this action. There again, I can't confirm this...

It's just i'm blocked from search engines here at work, so I can't find the info out myself and had plans tonight, so wouldn't be able to get to this til tomorrow night.

8. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I don't think there is any doubt anymore that al Qaeda was involved in the attacks in Somalia during the early Clinton years, so they had to have been mobilizing against the US earlier than that. They trace their fight with the US to the George HW Bush's first Iraq War and the presence of US troops in Saudi Arabia, but what if any attacks took place during the first Bush administration's tenure I can't recall.

9. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

There are lots of rumors about Terry Nichols and his ties to al Qaeda in the Philippines (he travelled there and has a wife from there.) I don't think any of them have ever been proven.

10. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

Yeah that sounds like biggest load of c**p I have ever heard. The guy was just another nut job. We've got plenty here in the US, al qaeda doesn't need to waste their time actually training them.

11. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Onizuka

Yeah, while I'll concede that's possible, until there's more fire to that smoke, I'm going to leave off my tinfoil hat ;)

(jeez - enough metaphors for ya?!?)

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"i don't think it's unreasonable to draw a link between g hw bush's middle east adventure and the first WTC bombings."

The link has been reasonably proven, given what I've read about the people involved.

It seems to me that Al Qaida is "merely" another iteration of militant Islam or jihadist Islam. Look back at the Iranian takeover of our embassy in 1979 and the statements that were made then--and which have unendingly continued. Whether Iranian ayatollah, bin Laden, or jihadists in Indonesia or Bali, the message against western culture is all the same. It looks pretty much like a repeat of A.D. 1200s/1300s but with different methodology and weaponry.

OKC? I've "messed with" AMFO and dynamite, doing some blasting to build the road up to my house. I don't see how an uncontrolled open-air burst can do so much damage on one side of a street and so relatively little on the other. About all I believe about OKC and the people involved is that there is more BS than you can find in a feedlot. The idea of an Arab guy involved in Elohim City might be erroneous, but it's not nutzoidal.

'Rat