Quick Question about wiring a home.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hummer, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Well I'm heading to home depot in a couple and I was wondering if I should use anything special opposed to regular wire for wiring phone and broadband internet through out the house. I'll be running the wires to make outlets with two other services (TV and of course electricity). There are no walls up in the home yet and everything is open to be wired before all the walls do go up.

Thanks in advance.

2. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Cat 5.
    FYI, it's pretty tricky connecting the ends to the special outlets they make for'em.
    [​IMG]
    See. Lots'o tiny wires.
    I think you might need a special tool...

3. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

well, if you're going to put it behind the walls, you might think about using optic fiber for your ethernet service. It's more or less impervious to EM interference, plus it's non-conductive, which is always a plus. And it'll keep you from having to add a repeater somewhere if your cable length exceeds 100m. Plus it'll handle future speed increases relatively easily.

There's an interesting article about optic fiber here, and there's a link to some equipment here.

4. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Yeah, you need a tool to crimp the end onto the wire, and it helps to have a tester so you know if you wired it right. Other than that it's not really that hard.