Quick Question Before Purchase (Re: MacBook)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Porscheboy16, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Porscheboy16 macrumors member

Aug 1, 2006
    Hello, I have been a PC user forever. I had never used a Mac until yesterday's visit to the Apple Store. I liked it, but I have an incredible deal lined up for a PC laptop. Here is what I am thinking about getting

2.0 Gig MacBook (White) w/ 80 Gig HD; $1244
    - Get 2 Gig RAM upgrade from OWC $220
    -Free Ipod Nano (Have one, but another free one isn't bad)
    - Free Printer (already have one, but since it is free)

The PC:
    -Dell Laptop (Inspiron)
    - 14.1" Screen
    - 2 Gig
    - 120 Gig HD
    -WIreless Net + Bluetooth
    -Built in webcam
    -Video Card
    -2 Yr Warranty
    -Virus Software
    - WIndows XP
    -Weighs a little less than 5 lbs.
    - Upgraded Battery
    - Dual Layer DVD Burner
    For $1400. (Retail is $2175)

Is the MacBook (and its great software) worth the premium over this 'more powerful' PC?

-Never used a Mac before
    -Cool software
    - No viruses
    - Cool design
    -Free Nano
    -Free Printer
    -Apple reliability
    -Costs more
    -Never used a Mac before
    -Smaller screen than Dell
    -Smaller HD than Dell
    -Weighs more than Dell
    - Less battery lifespan than Dell

Thanks guys. Looking to make a purchase this week.
  2. Porscheboy16 thread starter macrumors member

Aug 1, 2006
    This is for an Economics grad student that is interested in a little Video/Photo editing. Own PC version of Photoshop.
  3. Porscheboy16 thread starter macrumors member

Aug 1, 2006
  4. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Jul 17, 2002
    nar in Gainsborough, me duck
    Three letters make all the difference- OSX
    Then again I'm biased having only used Macs since '89 I've had very little 'on-hands' experience with Windows based PC's. Infact I was aghast with disbelief that this is the OS of choice for the vast majority of PC users.
    Don't take my word for it, just wait until some of the more experienced OSX/Windows users give more measured opinions. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  5. Hired Goon macrumors newbie

Jun 14, 2006
    i recently switched from pc to mac as well, i have a white 2.0 macbook.its been nothing but perfect, i was gonna get a dell but after seeing and using the mac, i knew i made the right choice. get the macbook for sure.
  6. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    everybody here is going to be biased towards the MB. we are all mac lovers, OS X fans.. so i wouldn't expect too many "no, go for the dell!" responses here... :rolleyes: :cool:

that said.. seriously.. the macbook all the way. heh :p
  7. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

May 15, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    macbook cons
    Not as ugly as a dell

I'd definately go for a macbook over a dell. Hardware is not really why you want to come over to macs. It's the OS and all the neat things that it brings with it. It just makes everything in life easier to do on a computer :)

8. Porscheboy16 thread starter macrumors member

Aug 1, 2006
    Thanks. So the OS and software is worth it?:)
  9. jrbsman macrumors member

Jul 4, 2005
    Macbook all the way

I work at Best Buy in Canada and when hearing about the Macbook looked at some similar size laptops we carry and a 14'' wide screen looked really small compared to my 14'' iBook. But then yesterday I finally got to our local Apple retailer and was amazed at how good the Macbook looks, feels, and performs. I did not feel that the 13'' inch screen was a hindrance, it felt light, and boy was it fast. This is coming from someone who does a lot of editing, some of it high end, all on a "low -end" laptop. The Macbook should beat anything Dell can put out, especially in the software end of things.
  10. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2003
    ;) Get a Dell, the macbook gets hot but the dell will actually burst into flames....;)
  11. dylangurl21 macrumors regular

Sep 16, 2005
    Last year I switched from a pretty high end dell to a small, 12inch ibook. The dell was nice. I never had any spyware/virus issues, but after using OSX and the bundled software, I wouldn't switch back especially with the option to dual boot. However, if I would go back to a windows laptop, I'd definitely go with a dell. Also, i will admit that I am still not as comfortable doing more than "basic" computing things on my mac than I was on my PC. I still work on a lot of my friends' PCs and find that getting around the slightly more techinical stuff is stlil easier for me.
  12. Porscheboy16 thread starter macrumors member

Aug 1, 2006

I'm sold. MacBook 2.0 w/ free ipod and printer:D
  13. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2003

Anyone else feel all warm and fuzzy inside?
  14. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    This pretty much sums it up.
  15. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2006
    NC, USA
    This is always a tough descision for switchers. Dell's smokin' deals will get a wonderful notebook for under a grand. These are feature packed too. But like I have done, you might be better off suckin' it up and paying a bit mnore for an Apple because it is about the OS, and general integrity of the software. As I get ready to buy my Macbook Friday, I still resist the powerful temptation to order a really well equipped Inspiron for hundreds less. It will pay off, just doesn't look like it up front.
  16. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2006
    As well as the points mentions above, the price of Dells deprieciate like the stones that they are. Apples hold there value a lot more so in the long run, you are paying pretty much the same as the Dell when you want to sell it on.
  17. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Yes! Get the MacBook! :)
  18. Frisco macrumors 68020

Sep 24, 2002
    Another Pro to ad to the MacBook list:
    Built in iSight (web cam)

Just get the MacBook. It's way more fun than a Dell. You'll love OS X.
  19. Porscheboy16 thread starter macrumors member

Aug 1, 2006
    Went to the Apple store again today:D I tried out the MacBook Pro 15" and I really liked it. It seemed faster than the 2.0 MacBook. It really isn't a whole lot bigger than the MB, and it seems to be smaller than most Dell laptops. If an update is announced Monday, then that may sway me to the MBpro. How heavy is it? At the store, we aren't allowed to pick them up. Is it a lot heavier than an MB? Is the bigger screen and dedicated video car worth the added $600 over the 2.0 MB? Both configurations would be with 2 Gig Ram.
  20. twoodcc macrumors P6

Feb 3, 2005
    Right side of wrong
    i pick them up at my local apple store (i don't ask, i just do it).

i think it depends on what size fits you better? if you don't think the 15" is too big then go for it. (especially if it gets updated) i thought the 15" wasnt too big when i got my powerbook, but now i think it is
  21. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2003

Which store are you going to TwoodCC??? I think I'm going to Lenox...I can't sleep...I'm too excited.:D
  22. twoodcc macrumors P6

Feb 3, 2005
    Right side of wrong
    i think i'm going to North Point because it's the only one i haven't been to in Georgia.