Quick Question: Does The Wii play DVD movies

Discussion in 'Games' started by Winstonp, May 12, 2006.

1. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2005
    I am in the market for an lcd tv...I can get one of them with the built in DVD (size does matter to me), or I can get one without, and use the wii!

let me know,Thanks!
  2. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

Jun 15, 2005
    Yes, but probably through an add-on like a USB dongle.
  3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    I had heard that the Wii played DVD's out of the box....:confused:

4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    If it's not out of the box, I am betting on a small online software purchase. The only reason it wouldn't do it from the get go is to cut costs on the DVD licensing fees, which are really pretty low. The system has everything it needs to playback DVDs, including a remote and reciever, so there's no need for a dongle... just some DVD decoding software with the proper keys.
  5. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    I would be surpried if it did.

Nintendo have always said there consoles are for playing games, not watching films.

Anyway, if you do find someone who lives on Planet Earth who is planning to buy a Nintendo Wii AND DOSN'T have DVD player in there home i'll personlly give him mine.

(Offer non gauranteed)
  6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    I think they announce it will play DVDs out of the box.....check the site out i think it says DVD movies.

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    I thought that they said early on, when they announced the system would use standard sized discs, that it would play DVDs but "would require an internal add-on" on some sort. There's not much reason NOT to have it do it, other than licensing costs, which they could pass on to the consumer with an add on.

Personally, I would like if it did play DVDs for a few reasons... one, it's nice to have a backup. I've been through, oh, must be 10+ DVD players in the past 6 years. I'm to the point now that I buy the cheapest unit and get the replacement plan. I usually end up spending about $50 and exchanging it every 5-8 months. Every other trip, so once a year or so, I end up with a slightly nicer player, since the old models get discontinued.

Second, I have a nice, little (30") HDTV as my main set now, but I would like to get a projector for a basement theatre sometime in the next year or two. My current set top DVD player is actually a nice multiformat player, so I'd prefer to have that in the theatre. A Wii would make a nice replacement for the other TV.

The last reason is really 3 things rolled into one. First: remotes. I hate my 1 million remotes, but I haven't found a universal remote that I like, so cutting out the DVD player remote would be nice. Second: space uner the TV. I'm OK in that department now, but I know a lot of people who don't have ROOM for a DVD player and a game system, and a TiVo, and a satellite reciever, etc etc.

Finally (and perhaps most importantly): TV inputs. My TV has 1 component input and 1 HDMI input (plus a bunch of SVideo, RCA, and RF inputs). I have my DVD player on the component set, and an HD receiver on the HDMI. My GCN goes through RCA, which is fine, but a Wii should go through component so it can output the full 480p. Which would bump my DVD player out of action, which is not acceptable.

Hmm... I don't see anything about movies, it says it will take DVD sized discs, but doesn't actually mention DVDs or movies at all that I can see. I could have missed it though, so please let me know if I am wrong.
  8. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    From what I recall, it will be capable of doing it, but will require an add-on to be purchased. So not directly out of the box. The DVD licensing fees seems like a reasonable suggestion as to why, but also, Nintendo is mainly focused on games. They seem to be releasing the add on for the space-conscious, but they realize that there are better (multiformat) players already out, and that HD is coming.
  9. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    A software download / upgrade would be nicer than having to plug some dongle into it and ruining the aestheic.
  10. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    The DVD side to this has me interested. with the Wii's lack of super-powered chips it's going to be quiet running making it a better machine than my PowerBook for films. Also with Component output i'll have quality on par with DVI (all digital) so w00ts.
    And if Nintendo's fast boot up's and sleep mode are to be believed - it will be much quicker at sticking a DVD in and pressing play :)