Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
I'm planning to reformat my HD and reinstall Tiger on it in the next few weeks. The thing is, how can I keep all my bookmarks? I've a couple of Folders in my Bookmarks in Safari and I don't wanna loose them all as there're almost a thousand of them there. Is there anyway I can backup these bookmarks including the ones in my Bookmark Bar? I wanna have all these bookmarks readily available. Is there anyway to save all these bookmarks and then transfer to Safari after i reformat and reinstall? Please run down the steps for me if possible. Thanks in advance.

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
DarkNetworks said:
I'm planning to reformat my HD and reinstall Tiger on it in the next few weeks. The thing is, how can I keep all my bookmarks? I've a couple of Folders in my Bookmarks in Safari and I don't wanna loose them all as there're almost a thousand of them there. Is there anyway I can backup these bookmarks including the ones in my Bookmark Bar? I wanna have all these bookmarks readily available. Is there anyway to save all these bookmarks and then transfer to Safari after i reformat and reinstall? Please run down the steps for me if possible. Thanks in advance.

Do you have .Mac?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
In your bookmarks bar, you should see a button that looks like an open book. Click it (or you can go to "Bookmarks>Show all Bookmarks"), this will bring you to a page with all of your bookmarks (you can select which category to display using the side menu). From there, you can click and drag those links to a folder on your desktop, which you can then backup.

(Then to restore, I'm assuming you would click and drag those links from the folder, back into the Bookmarks section in Safari, but I have never tested this.)

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
Heb1228 said:
A slightly easier method would be to go to Safari->File->Export Bookmarks. :D

Or, like me, use .Mac syncing...

...but you're right, either way is easy (and your way is necessary if you don't have .Mac....)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.