Quick Question on Bookmarks

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DarkNetworks, Jun 5, 2006.

1. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I'm planning to reformat my HD and reinstall Tiger on it in the next few weeks. The thing is, how can I keep all my bookmarks? I've a couple of Folders in my Bookmarks in Safari and I don't wanna loose them all as there're almost a thousand of them there. Is there anyway I can backup these bookmarks including the ones in my Bookmark Bar? I wanna have all these bookmarks readily available. Is there anyway to save all these bookmarks and then transfer to Safari after i reformat and reinstall? Please run down the steps for me if possible. Thanks in advance.

2. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Do you have .Mac?

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

In your bookmarks bar, you should see a button that looks like an open book. Click it (or you can go to "Bookmarks>Show all Bookmarks"), this will bring you to a page with all of your bookmarks (you can select which category to display using the side menu). From there, you can click and drag those links to a folder on your desktop, which you can then backup.

(Then to restore, I'm assuming you would click and drag those links from the folder, back into the Bookmarks section in Safari, but I have never tested this.)

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

A slightly easier method would be to go to Safari->File->Export Bookmarks. :D

5. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Or, like me, use .Mac syncing...

...but you're right, either way is easy (and your way is necessary if you don't have .Mac....)

6. reh macrumors 6502a

Or....

The bookmarks are saved in the following file:
    ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist