quick question (touch screen macs)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kakkoiimac, Nov 16, 2006.

1. kakkoiimac macrumors regular

Im a newbie to macs... I love my macbook though. anyway, as I was praising my mac to a friend, he asked about touch screen macs. Are there any macs with a touch screen. Has apple ever put out a tablet computer? I am just wondering...thanks for any insight.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

If you don't count the Newton, then no, Apple hasn't released a tablet computer.

They've had various patent filings and prototypes over the years, but no actual products.

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Not yet, but most likely someday! Apple tends to not release something until they know they have it right. Tablet PCs with Windows Tablet Edition are alright, but has tons of room for improvement. They also might be waiting for the market to grow, right now the market is tiny.

4. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Yes, as the previous poster said, the newton is the closest thing Apple has ever done but is long gone now.

There have been quite a few rumors about a new Apple touch-screen device, but it is unclear whether it is an ipod, tablet, or some other device and its release is far from certain.

5. kakkoiimac thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys...I did see something about converting a 24 inch imac to touch screen...whats up with that?

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think a few people have modded some to have touch screens, but there are none sold.

7. Mernak macrumors 6502

There is a site that would install touchscreens on G4 and G5 iMacs that I ran across awhile back. If I find the link I'll post it.

Her it is: Troll Touch. But they are insanely expensive.

8. kakkoiimac thread starter macrumors regular

...those are crazy expensive... thanks for all the help...i swear i can ask any question in these forums and get quick and accurate answers. Thanks a ton