Quick Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Whistleway, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Whistleway macrumors 6502

Sorry for a newbie Q.

What is the difference between AirPort Express Base Station with AirTunes and Airport Extreme? Do i need both or just one? I want to surf wireless at home using the new ibooks. Do i need anything else?

Thanks.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

AirPort Extreme is the Apple designation for their 802.11g technology.

AirPort Base Station blah is their model name for a wifi router.

You don't beed an AirPort Base Station to use wifi with your iBook (with an AirPort Extreme card). Just go with a cheaper wifi router and it'll work just fine. Naturally you won't get AirTunes if you don't use the Apple product, but that'll be up to you to see if it's worth it.

I'm quite happy with my NetGear WGR614. LinkSys will also work. Avoid Belkin products.. Belkin means "crappy quality" in geekspeak.

3. Whistleway thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I wish i could understand what you just meant. But, I am more confused now :(

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Just look in your local Best Buy weekly ad for a wireless 802.11g router. I prefer Linksys. It allows you to connect wirelessly. Apple's Airport Extreme Base Station does the same thing, it just costs a lot more.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No offense, but it sounds like you need to do a little research on what wireless technology is all about. In the end it'll serve you much better.

The wireless card in your iBook.. it's called and "Airport Extreme" card. It's what Apple calls their 802.11g cards. Those are the cards that transfer data at (a theoretical) 54Mbps.

The AirPort Base Station is the wireless device that your iBooks (and their AirPort Extreme wireless cards) would connect to.. to "surf wirelessly".

You don't need to buy an AirPort Base Station to "surf wirelessly". Much cheaper solutions, like those from Netgear and LinkSys will work just fine with your iBooks (and their AirPort Extreme wireless cards). They're about 1/2 the price.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Airport Extreme is Apple's name for 802.11g wireless networking(much easier to remember) ;)

To get your new iBook working wirelessly, you need a ethernet internet connection (via a cable/DSL modem usually) and a wifi router.

Apple offer 2 wifi routers

- Airport Extreme Base. This looks a little like a flying saucer and is more expensive than option 2
    - Airport Express with Airtunes

The Extreme is more expensive but can allow up to 50 users online (the Express can have only 10) and it has a LAN port so that you can have a wired sharing the connection rather than just broadcasting in wirelessly.

The Express has a audio out port which you can wire to your stereo and listen to iTunes through your stereo.

Both the Express and Extreme Bases have a USB port which you can attach your printer to and print wirelessly.

The other option you have (particularly useful if you don't already have an ethernet modem/router) is to buy an all in one wifi modem/router - or if you have a modem, a plain wi-fi router. Third parties like Dlink, Netgear and Belkin all make routers to the 802.11g standard which should be compatible with your iBook. These offer different features - more wired ports, are unlikely to have the USB printer slot or the Airtunes but are often cheaper.

If you want to print wirelessly and listen to your music remotely, then the Express is a great buy - particularly if you're in the US at the moment when you get free iTMS songs with it.

7. Whistleway thread starter macrumors 6502