Quick Question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by pianodude123, Jun 28, 2006.

1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

How do you make it so that in Final Cut Express when you capture, it automatically detects scenebreaks when you start and stop the camera like in iMovie?

sorry...nooby question.

2. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Hello?

I really need a response because i need to know the best way to import this video

3. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

I dont believe you can. The last time I checked Final Cut doesn't do that sort of thing. Maybe start in iMovie for the capture and than move to Final Cut... could be easier...

4. Keebler macrumors 68030

final cut pro does it

hey there,

i believe final cut pro can automatically sort out breaks based on timecode stops, if that is what you mean. it chunks out the bits into different quicktime files.

i'm pretty sure fcexpress doesn't do this.

i would search the apple discussion boards just in case.

cheers,
    keebler

5. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Thats kind of stupid....you pay $299 and you dont get a feature that is included in free included software...:-/

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Actually pressing STOP and PLAY on your camcorder while its capturing is kind of silly.

unless you mean what someone else posted and are referring to the timecode breaks that occur when you turn the camcorder OFF/ON (not pause or stop usually) and get written to the timecode on the tape.

I dont use iMovie anymore and I dont recall the feature you are talking about.

What is it that youe video has that makes you questions using your tried and true iMovie? Why are you going to use FCE if you dont need to?

7. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I knew I had read this somewhere. It just took me a while to find it.

From Page 257 of the FCE-HD User Manual PDF: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Final_Cut_Express_HD_User_Manual.pdf

Automatically Creating Subclips Using DV Start/Stop Detection DV formats allow you to create subclips automatically from start/stop metadata that is embedded in video frames each time you stop and start the camcorder. This DV start/ stop metadata is captured and stored in the media file. Final Cut Express HD can identify the location of each start/stop marker (sometimes referred to as an embedded flag) to automatically place markers in a clip. These markers can then be used to create subclips. Note: DV start/stop metadata is not timecode. It is independent time-of-day metadata recorded within the video data of your footage. When the time-of-day information jumps dramatically from one shot to the next, Final Cut Express HD recognizes that the shot has changed and can place a marker at that point in the clip. To break a long DV clip into subclips based on starts and stops: 1 Capture a long clip from a DV tape containing several starts and stops. 2 Do one of the following:  Select the clip in the Browser.  Open the clip in the Viewer. 3 With the Viewer active, choose Mark > DV Start/Stop Detect. Note: If you have any exceptionally long clips, you can break these up further by adding a few more markers manually. For more information, see “Using Markers” on page 235. 4 Switch the Browser to list view and locate the clip you were working on in the Viewer. For more information, see “Choosing Views in the Browser” on page 70. 5 Click the disclosure triangle to view the clip’s markers.

8. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Wow!

Thanks for the help, sir!