Quick questions on Mac OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Souma, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Souma macrumors newbie

Nov 3, 2005
    Hi i'm new to Mac OS there are quite a few questions i would like to know regarding to this OS:

1) Where are cache files/Internet history files stored? (it would be good to provide a screenshot)
    2) How to hide file/folder, how to do it?
    3) Where are the cookies files stored? (it would be good to provide a screenshot)

Thanks in advance.
  2. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Oct 27, 2003
    Portland, OR
    1a. Those files are normally stored in your /users/your_name/library/Caches/Safari
    1b. History is stored in /users/your_name/library/Safari/History.plist
    1c. For firefox and omniweb and opera all have some folders in Application Support which have those files.

2. check out http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?keywords=hide+files&os=macosx&button.x=0&button.y=0

not sure how to do this by default, mb try to search macosxhints.com.

3. That file is stored for safari at /users/your_name/library/Cookies/Cookies.plist You can also access this by going to the preferences in safari and under the security tab, there is the show cookies button.
  3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm not sure what you mean when you ask where cookies/history files are.
    Do you want to know physically where these files are stored, or just how to view/clear them?

To view cookies:
    go to: Safari > Preferences > Security > "Show Cookies" button
    (see screen shot)

To view History:
    go to: (on the file menu) "History"

EDIT: Benjamin beat me

Attached Files:

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    I think you'd be interested in the "Private Browsing" feature of Safari. It's in the "Safari" menu in Safari.
  5. BollywooD macrumors 6502

Apr 27, 2005
    Surfers Paradise

thinking of introducing spyware to OSX?