Quick-Tab in Vista

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tomaz, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Tomaz macrumors 6502

Not sure where to put this thread, to I put it next to another Vista thread.

I just watched Bill Gates keynote and amongst other things he showed the new internet explorer with tabs (after 29min into the video).
    There's this new very cool feature: A click on a button opens all tabs live as small windows, kinda like expose within the internet explorer window. One can from there chose a certain tab or close it.
    Pretty cool if you make a search and open tabs of the first 10 search results. You can then whatch all tabs at the same time while they load and decide which ones might be interesting, instead of slowly going through all tabs, one after the other.

Anyone seen that? What do you think?
    Quicktab.jpg

2. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

That's one feature (and probably the only one overall) that I thought was very good.

Shiira has a somewhat similar feature currently, but Shiira is a relatively new kid on the block and it's not yet done quite as well as what Microsoft showed in the demo.

I think it's likely that browser developers (especially for the Mac) will deliver that feature much sooner than it took Microsoft to deliver tabbed browsing for Explorer.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Well, it's kinda like expose, except only for IE. ;) :p

B

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    As mentioned in this thread, Omniweb already has graphical tabs built into its browser - it has a sidebar that you can show the images on, switch them into text, rearrange them, drag them into new windows, save them as a workspace if you need to shut down your Mac...

5. Tomaz thread starter macrumors 6502

We'll it definitely is a feature I would like to see in Safari. That would even make me finally switch to firefox if implemented there.

6. Randall macrumors 6502a

Randall

I'm sure that Safari will come up with something similar. :cool:

7. mbopy22 macrumors 6502

mbopy22

Sorry for this kind of stupid question.. but when you say Bill Gates's Keatone, do you mean Powerpoint or is he actually using Keatone? cause I though that is a Mac Program? am I wrong?:eek:

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Erm, I think you might mean keynote in which case it has always been a term to describe a public presentation such as the one done by Bill and those we see form Steve every now and then. Apple then made an app named Keynote (which is loosely a PowerPoint equivalent) for helping others (namely Mac users) to make similar presentations. Does that make sense? :)

9. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

Try this out this then.
    http://hetima.com/safari/stand-e.html

Attached Files:

10. Project macrumors 68020

Yup, I can definitely see the Mac haters claiming this as something pioneering. Apple should definitely have implemented something similar to Shiira or Omniwebs implementations of it by now for Safari though. Hopefully with 10.5.

11. haiggy macrumors 65816

1) It's 'Keynote'
    2) It's just another word for a presentation pretty much. Not necessarily talking about software.

Edit: Damn, Madjew beat me by 2 minutes... I must be really slow

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Whether the Shiira people, the SafariStand authors, Microsoft, all, none, or someone else entirely deserves credit, I do think it's a neat concept. I'm not sure if I'd use it much or not. It took me a while to start really digging Expose, though, and in the end I really like it. :)

13. Project macrumors 68020

14. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

It makes me feel bad for OmniGroup that even Mac users (like the people in this thread) are impressed by Microsoft because of this feature. OmniWeb has had the same thing for a long time, and it works really well. Once again, MS is just copying something that somebody else came up with first.

15. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

I agree, and I don't understand why. I use it all the time!

And the Vista equivalent is just butt ugly, IMO.

16. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

There is a plugin for Firefox that does this: foXpose.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow! :eek:

It's certainly not Apple pretty, but it seems to work pretty well. It says something pretty impressive that someone wrote a 6kb extension to do this! :eek: :eek: :D