quick way to size down photos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by biohazard6969, Mar 9, 2005.

1. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

hey, does neone know of an app, or ne way of quickly sizing down an image say from like 500X500 pixels to something like 60X60? thx in advance :)

2. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Photoshop is great, but also preview would work, or iPhoto if the pic is from a camera.

3. biohazard6969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

4. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Nevermind, preview doesn't do it, but if you zoom out on the image to the size you want, and then take a screenshot that would work, but it wold not be the best quality like in photoshop.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you drag the image into iPhoto, you can then click on it in the gallery, choose export, and then choose the "scale no larger than..." option to do this. Then choose the format from the pull-down (if you leave it at "original," then it will re-export in the old file format, e.g. jpg if the original was jpg).

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

This is the first task that I want an Automator action for. And I want it to be able to start from a screenshot PDf file and extract the image as a jpeg too.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It would be nice if some basic functionality in this direction were rolled into Preview...lol, that could be the back-end of your Automator task. ;) It seems like Preview is already half-way there -- it can deal with most of the formats, and do conversions. Now it just needs sizing capabilities. Preferably with a sub-pixel rendering type of option that produces smooth scaled down images, as well as a standard raw scale.

8. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

No reason to use Photoshop or anything like that. Even Automator would probably be overkill. A simple Applescript will suffice, in fact, you don't even have to write it.

http://www.apple.com/applescript/toolbar/

Download the "Scale Image(s) by Percentage" droplet from the "Window Contents" section. Drag your images onto it, specify the scaling percentage, and you're all set. If percentages won't work for you, then you may have to come up with something else. If you can make do, however, its pretty convenient.

9. Scubajay macrumors regular

Scubajay

Thanks alot for this post - I always needed to know how to do this and it really helped. Cheers!!:)

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    This thread is quite old (2005) and if you're running Leopard, you can now do it in Preview.

11. Scubajay macrumors regular

Scubajay

Ha Ha....check me out keeping up to date!!!!

Thanks for the tip - I didn't know it could be done in preview either.....As a Leopard owner I will use it. Cheers for the tip!!