Quicken 2005 - Best way to export financial data?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacVault, Feb 23, 2007.

1. MacVault macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2002
    Planet Earth
    I'm about to start (again) using Quicken 2005 for Mac but before I start investing my time into entering all my financial data I'm wondering if my data will be hostage to Quicken? Or is it possible to export all data to an open format, excel, etc??? And if so, what is the best and easiest way to work with the data after exporting it? Are there good programs out there to do this? I notice Quicken exports only .qif files. Is this a problem? I've never quite figured out how to import the .qif file into Excell and have it really make sense.

In case some miracle happens and someone or some company writes a superb, top notch, fully-featured personal finance manager for Mac OS X - and don't hold your breath - I would like to be able to migrate my data from Quicken and not have to re-enter anything.

Any advise would be nice! Thanks :)
  2. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

May 20, 2004
    I'm pretty sure that the only real export option in Quicken is to export in the .QIF format. (I believe that's the extension.) Quicken uses that format to export data for re-import back into Quicken.

I would hope that anyone producing what they would posture as a Quicken replacement would have to support the import of QIF files or else they would have a much reduced chance of commercial success.

I use Quicken but it's a love/hate relationship. I hate how lacking it is, but it's still the best thing out there for me (especially with online bill paying).