Quicken 2007 not Universal

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Aug 1, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: 3rd Party Software
    Link: Quicken 2007 not Universal
    Description:: Odd story; imagine the uproar if Adobe and Microsoft didn't bother to make the next versions of Creative Suite or Office universal...

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors 68030

nbs2

Does this really surprise anybody? Day late, dollar short; too little, too late; close but no cigar; Intuit Mac support...

3. macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but that widget sounds mighty cool. Not worth $70, but a real time saver.

4. macrumors 6502a

Some_Big_Spoon

Has anyone seen it running in Rosetta? Some apps are just as fast running in emulation depending on what they do and their resource needs. If it runs the same speed, then is it that big of a deal?

Adobe on the other hand........

5. macrumors 6502a

Love my PPC G5

Finally a reason to NOT upgrade to a new Intel mac!

*smirk*

:p

6. macrumors 68020

As far as I know, Quicken is not a very processor intensive app so it doesnt really matter.

7. macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

I'm using Quicken 2006 on Intel. Its ok and plenty responsive while it is open, if it could open a bit faster that would be nice. But honestly, that's not worth $70.

In fact it reminds me of the Quicken software that shipped with my Performa so many years ago. I guess there is no reason to change something so rote as a money manager.

8. macrumors 6502a

Agreed. It's Quicken. Who cares if it's Universal? It mostly just sits and waits for you to input information.

9. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

“There is not a significant performance increase when running natively on Intel-based [Macs],”

In order to make a comment like that, they must've had a native version running to test against, yet they decided not to release it.

10. macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Quicken is one of those apps that I wish I didnt need, and only use once every few days, the fact that it isnt a UB yet wont kill me. :D

11. macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i could sure need a money manager software. something that is intuitive, flexible and dare i say cheap? i have to manage my money, you know? ;)

12. macrumors 603

shadowfax

I was thinking he just lied through his teeth. but that's just me. ;)

13. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Make no mistake, I think the same thing :)

14. macrumors 68020

does it really matter if you finiancial software runs natively. can it get much faster?

15. macrumors 68030

nbs2

While having faster speeds on financial management software is not essential, I think it goes more to the fact that they didn't do it as emblematic of their support for the OS as a whole.

16. macrumors newbie

Mac's don't even exist in Australia!

All you Quicken users in the US should be grateful, Quicken Australia don't even make a Mac version - at all! Never have, and from what I was told 12 months ago by a support person, they never will. Am using the US version which does the job, but no interface to any financial institutions. :-(

17. macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure about that. QuickBooks (Quickens big brother) is very processor intensive. Why would they develop two similar programs with such different processor needs?

18. macrumors demi-god

Don't know, but I almost always have Activity Monitor running (showing the CPU usage) and Quicken doesn't make it go significantly up.