Quicken for Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stevento, Jan 4, 2007.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

Dec 10, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I dont know where this app came from but its here so I might as well use it for whatever it does.
    What does it do?
    How can I use it effectively.
  2. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    It's a personal finance management appication. If you're just now discovering it on your box, it more than likely is a trial. It's okay for personal finance and smaller, personal account management, but Intuit puts out a better (IMO) product, QuickBooks (Pro) which costs more, but is more comprehensive. I beta tested Quicken for Mac with Intuit for a couple of years ('04-'05), but haven't upgraded with them since.
  3. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
  4. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    QuickBooks for Mac sucks compared to the Windows version though.

Intuit is probably one of the worst developers ever, right up there with Quark. Cornered the market, and now they're getting lazy and bloated. Quark got their collective asses kicked by Adobe, which is a great thing. Intuit hasn't gotten their long-deserved ass-kicking yet, though.

I hate Intuit.
  5. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    Ya, that's pretty close to how I've seen them over the past few years or so, particularly without any significant development or attention for Mac users.
  6. Lycanthrope macrumors 6502

Nov 1, 2005
    Brussels, Belgium, Europe
    I used to use Quicken back in the late 90's when I ran my own business, it was pretty good. Then I started using MS Money for personal finances in 2004 and found it to be perfectly suited to my needs.

So after moving to Mac I was amazed to find there was no version of Money for OS X. Furthermore the Quicken for Mac is crap and all the other apps out there just aren't good enough.

Seems to be huge potential for someone to develop a MS Money-like app for Mac, Apple should add it into their iLife suite really especially as I'm forced (as are many others I understand) to keep Windows running on a laptop just to do my finances.

Best discussion I've seen on the issue is here: