Quicken Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Xiphius, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Xiphius macrumors newbie

G'day there,

I was just wondering if anyone can help with my obscure question, I couldn't find the information I needed on the Quicken website, so I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I'm hoping to transfer my PC accounting files onto a new iMac, all files are from Quicken version 7. I'll be looking at purchasing Quicken 2005 for Mac.

I do know that Quicken files are compatible between versions, but are they compatible between operating systems. ie/ will my windows quicken files work on the apple machine?

Thanks a lot,
    Xiphius

2. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

You have to go through a process of converting them. Search the help files for exporting to a Mac or something like that. I know I found the instructions on Intuit's support website.

Good luck,

Tim

3. Xiphius thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Tim..

I'll have a close look through their site now.

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Xiphius,

Not to disuade you on purchasing Quicken for Mac, but I think you'll be disappointed. Apparently, Intuit puts a lot more effort into the Windows version of Quicken than they do for the Mac version. I guess since they have competition from Microsoft Money.

Anyways, from everything I've read, the Mac version doesn't have many of the features that the Windows version has. Go to the Macworld Forums and read through the Quicken Forum for opinions.

The best option would be to keep your PC around just for Quicken. Or get VPC.

5. Xiphius thread starter macrumors newbie

ftaok,

Thanks for letting me know about this. I suppose I'm not surprised by the lack of features in the Mac version, all the same, I was hoping to retire my PC for good and use a new imac for everything.

Is there another program with the same purpose of Quicken for the Mac? I was hoping that I would not have to re-input all my accounts, but if it needs to happen, then it needs to happen.

6. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

I used Quicken on my PC forever, all the way up until 2004 (I let a PC enter my life again for 6 months this year, bad choice). I use the Mac version now, and I like it just fine. I am probably a pretty basic user... I don't use a lot of the stock tools and that sort of thing, but for me it works just fine.

But I also hated MS Money on the PC, so maybe I'm just completely weird. :rolleyes:

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

I agree with nosen. I used Quicken on the PC for some time, and then migrated over to the Mac version on my iMac. I still have my PC, but it's used almost entirely for kids games.

Net is - they've made enough incremental improvements in the Mac version, and my bank now support Quicken WebConnect, which is a key on the Mac version to do the 'autoreconcile' thing that I love.

It took a little getting used to the differences, but everything transferred over fine, and I've been running without issue for over a year now.

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I don't think that keeping a PC around just for quicken makes any sense at all.

Maybe you'll miss some feature from the PC version, but maybe you wont.....most people don't really use all of the features of a program like Quicken anyway regardless of what platform they're using.

9. Xiphius thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting points.

Ideally I would love a smooth transition to Mac Quicken and thus no further use for the PC, and it's good to finally read some positive comments on the Mac version.

Is there a trial version that can be tested to experiment witht he changes?

Also, is there a tutorial of any type to explaint he conversion of PC quicken files to Mac?

10. Ziggy macrumors newbie

I've got an old version of Quicken running on VPC, mainly 'cos I couldn't be bothered to fiddle about with the transfers to the Mac version. Consequently it's slow and really rather tedious (esp. as I loathe Windoze).

HOWEVER, I've just come across iBank, which is a true Mac personal finance package which appears to do the same job (roughly) as Quicken and looks really nice; ie. a solid Mac product, beautifully designed as a Mac product should be. It will import QFX or QIF data.

Their website is:

www.iggsoftware.com

:)

11. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Quicken for Mac works fine. It's a little different that the PC version but you get used to it. File conversion worked seamlessly for me.

12. Xiphius thread starter macrumors newbie

How did you convert your files cooknn?

Ziggy, I'm grabbing a look at iBank and iWork now... I'm liking the look and sound of both of them.

13. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

It's not as complex as it looks on Intuit.Com but click the link and you'll have all the information you need for a successful conversion from Quicken for Windows to Quicken for Mac.

14. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

It comes on all Macs (although I think you still get Q2004 now).

I agree that what you don't get in Quicken for Mac is not worth sticking with a PC.

15. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

There it is! I was hunting around for it this morning to link to this thread, and I just got fed up with their support site! :mad: :D

16. Blurb macrumors member

I agree that you should have no problem converting to Quicken for Mac. The link to the Intuit site gives a simple breakdown of what is needed to do the conversion of the acct info from PC to Mac. I used Quicken on a PC for at least 6 years before switching to Macs in 2002, and I had no problem with the data conversion at all. After you convert your data on the PC to a QIF file, you will need to import the QIF file to your Quicken program on the Mac, and you're done.

My only concern with the other Mac accounting programs, is if your bank accepts them for online banking access. I've never had a problem with Quicken with any bank I've used over the years.

And I don't miss anything from the PC Quicken version!