quickies: SATA & login from sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacHarne, Mar 23, 2006.

1. MacHarne macrumors 6502

Quick questions with answers that I haven't yet discovered from several document and internet searches.

I just received a 2 x 1.25 GHz PM G4 (10.4.5) and more RAM & an IOGEAR USB2 card is on the way. In the meantime, here are two questions.

#1 - I want to increase the hard drive speed, so I am looking to get this SATA hard drive controller by SIIG. It says it supports 150 MB/s transfers. Is this drive by Samsung compatible with the controller? The Samsung has specs of 300 MB/s transfer, but I am unsure if it is backwards compatible.

#2 - At work we have iMacs that ask for login information when the machines wake from sleep. I have scoured Sys Prefs and Apple support docs for how to do this and have found nothing. It would be a great security benefit for me to have this feature and I am wondering how it is done.

Ok. Thanks in advance.

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Answer to #1: the harddrive might work but @ the 1.5GB speed not the 3.0 GB that the drive could handle :eek:

3. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

To require that a user logs into the computer:
    1. Open System Preferences.
    2. Open "Accounts" panel.
    3. Click on "Login Options" underneath the list of accounts.
    4. Uncheck "Automatically log in as".

To require password on wake from sleep:
    1. Open System Preferences.
    2. Open "Security" panel.
    3. Select "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver".