Quickoffice for iPad. Anyone using it?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by danpass, Apr 14, 2010.

1. macrumors 68020

danpass

I have it for my iPhone and it improves its functionality but of course the screen size limits its overall utility in creating and editing xls and doc files.

Anyone using it on the iPad and what do you think?

2. macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I don't think it's out for the iPad, yet.

3. macrumors 68040

jjk454ss

Shoot, I saw this post and got excited about Quickoffice for the iPad. I like it on my phone, I hope they release it for the iPad. I have not tried the iPhone version on my iPad, anyone tried it to see how it is?

4. r0k
    macrumors 68040

r0k

I'm using docs to go in 2x mode. I hear that dataviz will release an iPad version but they tend to be slow. Don't know about quick office but I suspect it will try to get around the gimpy limitations of the iPad similar to what docs to go does. Docs to go can read and write from google docs. This means you can read, modify, write in one program which apple seems bound and determined to block on all iPhones, iPod touches and iPads.

5. thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

In iTunes I had seen iPad listed in the Quickoffice description and was hoping it was more than simply running the current iPhone app in iPad.

That 2x zoom I saw in the Nasa app on the iPad was substandard and I suspect any 2x zoomed app will look equally substandard

6. macrumors 6502

Ping Guo

I'm wondering if DropBox, once released, used in conjunction with Quickoffice or iWork on the iPad, will be an easy workaround for the file-sharing issues?

7. macrumors newbie

i bought it for my ipad (don't own iphone/touch) since on the website it says it's compatible. It's not. So I wasted $15. However I emailed them and they said they are working on it!

Hopefully they let me just upgrade or that would make me feel screwed hehe

8. macrumors 6502

It is now available for $9.99 (introductory price). Anyone use?

9. macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Yes, and I feel ripped off. Load of rubish. Docs2Go and iWork are both exponentially better.

Word-processing wise, it's beyond pathetic. I hate the UI first of all, Pages has a beautiful toolbar and Docs2Go has some more functional bars...QuickOffice Word is barebones only offering you font colour, paragraph formatting, font, size, and one or two other things as options...and that is it. Text is blurry, external bluetooth support is pathetic (lags, no arrow key support)...Dropbox compability is limited (you can't view downloaded files offline LOL).

I feel cheated so bad. It's worthless for me, feels so rushed, almost like a panic because Docs2Go was released and stealing the spotlight. I don't know about Excel, but I know someone who laughed when he downloaded it...he says Numbers is better. A review on iTunes suggests that the powerpoint viewer is crippled and garbles powerpoints on import.

Avoid, imo.

10. thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

:D
    haha, good enough for me, I'll stick with Pages then, thanks :D

11. macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Always glad to help ;)

Doesn't mean that future updates can't fix any of my described shortcomings...they can for sure, and if they do, I'll have no problem going back. :)

Did you intend on using Office docs on iPad, or were you just looking at an alternative to Pages?

12. macrumors newbie

I don't personally have it on my iPad but the biggest shortcoming I saw when my girlfriend was using it on hers was that the keyboard typing lags which is annoying when you can actually type at a decent speed.

13. thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

I have it for iPhone. Now I see it won't be universal anyway so forget about it lol.

14. macrumors 6502

If you have text in the clipboard and try to paste it in a new QO doc, you can't get the paste button to appear without typing something first. It's a forgivable bug. But the whole zooming-bouncing experience is off-putting on its own.

It's a fair bet that none of the people involved in developing this app would actually use it for office work themselves.

15. macrumors 68020

AJsAWiz

16. macrumors 68040

jjk454ss

It keeps crashing for me when I try to open an excel spreadsheet. Then it won't even relaunch until I reboot my iPad. To top it off, I created an account on the quickoffice website to submit a ticket, but it won't let me log in.

17. macrumors newbie

Can someone who has QuickOffice tell me if you can create .txt files and create new folders in SugarSync or Dropbox? Thanks.

18. macrumors 6502

I have just created a text file and also created a new folder in my Dropbox account using Quickoffice

19. macrumors member

No problem with Dropbox and txt file. Dun use SugarSyn though.

20. macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. Bought it just now and seems to work. No SugarSync support it looks like, but I have a free dropbox account. Wish this QuickOffice would have come out for ipad sooner, would've saved $15 from buying Documents to Go which doesn't seem to have .txt or folder create support! Also like how QuickOffice has password protect support for the app.

21. macrumors newbie

I also noticed that it is painfully slow with googledocs. Nothing wrong with it. It's just really slow on loading with any googledocs documents. I created a dropbox account and I guess I'll have to use that. It is much snappier. :)

22. macrumors member

Yeah I think it's very much a work-in-progress still lacking basic features features like tables and image insertion in word. I am hoping for some great updates over the next few months.