Quicksilver 2002?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jbezooyen, Jan 6, 2004.

1. jbezooyen macrumors newbie

I've been a bit of a wanna-be mac user for the past couple of months but have failed a couple times at saving some serious cash for the first mac. (You know how life gets sometimes, savings don't always last.) A friend of mine, however, is looking into getting himself a dual 1.8 G5 and wants me to buy his old mac off him. He's currently working with a g4 800 mhz. Here's the spec's, as he's presented them to me:

G4 800mhz (Quicksilver 2002)
    512 Ram
    Radeon 8500
    40 gig HD.

(I guess that covers most of the essentials.) He's offereing the whole package for 999 (canadian). Now, keep in mind the fact that spending even that much on a computer for me is spending a heck of a lot (I know, I could wait and get a g5 or something, but I'd have to wait quite awhile longer since I don't often save even 1k) (This is where my non-mac friends get all under my skin about the awesome pc I could throw together for that much...).

And since I don't know enough about Mac's in general, I wondered if this was a good buy. I typically use my current computer (677mhz intel pc, with win xp) for chatting, music, word processing and the like. I'm sure the machine would suite most of my basic needs...

I dunno, i wanted somebody elses opinion on this. Thanks. :)

2. mhar4 macrumors member

I have one of these at work with 256MB of ram. CAD1000 is a reasonable price for this, I think, given the high resale value that Macs seem to hold. Of course, it runs OS10.3 with absolutely no problems, but it lack some functionality: no DVD burner, and the 40G HD is really much too small since I started doing some video work. And even the slowest G5 would eat it for breakfast. My feeling is that even an entry-level G5 would be better longer-term buy. I think if price is a big issue, then a PC is more bang for the buck.

3. maelstromr macrumors 6502

maelstromr

You should consider the life of mac's though. That machine will stay around, working, for much longer than any pc. It's a powermac tower, and a lot of emphasis has been placed on developing upgrades for them, so you'll have the option of bumping it up later on, for cheaper than a new comp.

The quicksilver models are beautiful, they still give you that unique prestige of being a mac user. :D

So what's $1000CD? $600US? That's apretty good deal, I would go for it, esp if you don't think you have the patience to save more.

4. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    $1000CAD = $781 USD (today's xe.com rate) , it's a reasonable deal.

You'll probably want to pick up another stick of RAM, maybe add a burner, and another drive would be good as well. There are plenty of processor upgrades available from OWC should you want them later on. The video card should last you for a while at least.

Personally, i think they look better than the quad nostril's. ;)

5. jbezooyen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the great opinions.

There are one or two things about this that'll work for me too. I have a combo drive in my current computer that should work fine if I put it into the Mac. I might also have some extra ram from this computer that I don't need as much anymore. (Once I get the new computer, this one will be able to retire to some much simpler things really, so taking some of the components from it won't matter.)

I think based on what I've heard, I'll probably go for this. Thanks for the information.

6. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Just think of the PC you could by with the same amount of money. DVD Burner, 1GB of DDR333, AMD Athlon XP 2600+, Radeon 9600Pro/XT.

Come on, give him $500, that's all it's worth, if that. The dam thing uses a 180nm processor.