quicksilver board in digital audio case

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by CamH, Apr 13, 2005.

1. CamH macrumors member

I was wondering it would work to buy a Quicksilver board and put it inside of my Digital Audio system (DA board died) because the QS boards are much more readily avaliable and less expensive. It looks like the boards are exactly the same but they have an extra 4 pin connector for the PSU on the board. Is this the same as a 12v line on a PC? If so I have an adaptor for it and I just need to be sure that the rest of the PSU connector is the same pinout.

Thanks!

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Yes you can.. I did the reverse of what you completed.. Pictures....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a Digital Audio Mobo in a Quicksilver case. the Ports on the back are exactly the same, and fit perfect!

Do you have a Digital Audio Motherboard alredy? if so why are you going quicksilver? Both Motherboards address the same ammount of memory, support the same ammount of PCI devices, and have the same Bus speed.

You can run Quicksilver processors in a Digital Audio, with a simple Voltage wire run from a Power point to the Processor.

You will need a Quicksilver PSU to run a Quicksilver Motherboard. Pinouts are not the same as an ATX style. THe Quicksilver PSU is also more expensive then the Digital Audio / Gigabit Ethernet PSU.

3. CamH thread starter macrumors member

My reasoning for switching to a Quicksilver board is that they are much more readily avaliable than Digital Audio boards and my Digital Audio board is dead. Thanks for the info and pictures, as I am sure it will help a lot.

I assume you are using a Quicksilver PSU, can I get a picture of the four pin connector that usually connects right next to where the PSU connects to the logic baord? I want to make sure it is a PC style one like I am thinking of. I'm not building a system using a PC power supply or anything, I just need to know what the extra 4 pin connector is like.

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Sorry I don't have a picture of that, because I am not using a Quicksilver processor (yet).

The power connector you are thinking of should be easy to visualize on your Mobo. if you look at your Digital Audio Motherboard, you will see solder points for these power connections. (well at-least my motherboard has them).

I actually found Digital Audio Motherboards easier to find, then Quicksilver. (2 months ago) and the prices were ~$100 - $150 less, for arguably the same advantages, and speed.

I hope your project goes well! I had a fun time building my G4. Before I completed this project, I was running a G4 500 B&W. My Quick_Audio is down for the moment, I need a new AGP video card for it.

Can someone with a Quicksilver take a picture of their Motherboard power connector and post it up here?

5. CamH thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I see the solder points you're talking about. Thanks for all the info. :)

6. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Nice!!

Have fun with your build!! Post pictures if you can when you are done!