Quicksilver G4 noise reduction

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by JupiterZen, Oct 17, 2002.

1. JupiterZen macrumors regular

Hi everybody,

I'm considering to do some fan-replacing on my Quicksilver G4 to reduce the noise. I've read the reports on xlr8yourmac.com here and here, but would like your input. Or maybe someone on these boards did the same?

Everywhere I read that Papst seems to do a good job. So I was looking at their 612NGL to replace the CPU fan. And the 4412FGL to replace the big case fan. But I am not sure if these would move enough air to keep my Dual 800 running cool enough.

Did Apple overdo it with the existing fans to be on the save side, so I can safely get quieter fans that move less air? Or are they just barely keeping up as it is and would it be unwise to lower it any further?

Hope to get some firsthand experience from you.

PS. I found that my CPU fan is a Minebea 2410ML-04W-B47 and the case fan is a Delta WFC1212B. Not much on the internet on these though.

2. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

I'm watching this closely to see if any info carries over to the Mirrored Drive Door models (they make my QS sound like silence).

3. JupiterZen thread starter macrumors regular

Are the DDR models that bad? Never heard one yet, but the old Quicksilver is already way to loud. So I pity the owners of the new ones if they are even louder.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Before you start looking for answers here in MacRumors, you might want to read the many reports on this issue at MacInTouch. You could start here and here.

You can scan those pages for the word fan or the word noise.

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Earplugs would probably work :D:D:D

But I never noticed a very big noise level on the DDR models... I don't own one, but I have used them, and they don't seem to be very noisy. Especially if you are playing music.

6. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

What's that... did someone say a Jet is taking off????

PS. we had a customer send one back when they first were released because they thought they had a fault with the fan.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: Quicksilver G4 noise reduction

I have a dual 800 as well and I've gotten accustomed to the noise, but the heat is something else. We now have a cooler period in Central Florida, so I will appreciate the machine more. :)

Apple rarely goes too far with cooling. They always like to keep things as cool as possible without fans. I doubt that they were living dangerously this time. I am very conservative so unless I understand that newer fans move the same amount of air but are quieter or there are other methods, such as gel, which will work, I'm not changing anything.

8. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i know a guy who owns a dual 1.25, and he says he doesnt notice the noise of the pmac....guess hes used to loud fans then...

9. JupiterZen thread starter macrumors regular

So nobody here is fiddling with their case?

Google only gives me only one result on the CPU fan type, so at least I think I know the specs on this one. But the Delta fan just doesn't seem to exist or something.

Does anybody know the CFM and/or dB noise level on the stock Quicksilver casefan? To give me an indication of the replacement I need.

[/edit]
    I'm talking about the first Quicksilver series, not the new DDR series.
    [edit]

10. Kid Red macrumors 65816

I have the 2002 QS dual gig and I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. It sits maybe a foot from me on my desk and while I can hear it is by no means loud.

11. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

To be truthful, I think exactly the same about the QS. I only have a problem with the MD... they are REALLY loud... esp. considering how many air holes they have and the size of the heat sync.

12. JupiterZen thread starter macrumors regular

Well, seems nobody here has had the courage to hold a screwdriver and take apart their precious G4's ;). Then I'll have to be the one to keep you posted on my adventure to quiet my dual 800 Quicksilver.

I am trying to get the fans I want through a friend of mine. After I had to mail with Delta and NMB to confirm the specs on the fans. Because the productnumbers were nowhere (well almost nowhere) to be found searching google and usenet etc.

I'll post my results and pictures of the mods when I get there ;)