QuickSilver look alot nicer than the Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Tangerine, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Tangerine macrumors regular

Jan 5, 2007
    It is just me, or I find the QuickSilver looking so much better then the current mac pro? What happen? When they made the Mac Pro, it got degrade? What is with the swiss cheese large tower effect? My brother keep telling me how ugly my Mac Pro look. :(

I kinda agree, but it still look good in it high tech way. However, back then I own Apple QuickSilver and boy it look stunning. I think it one of Apple best work.

Latest Apple Computer. Mac Pro!

2. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    No question the Quicksilver is a beautiful machine, but I far prefer the G5s/Mac Pros. The case is tall, "powerful" and so very silver metal -- ooh ... and its footprint.

More simply:

I don't remember the first Quicksilver I saw. I do remember the first G5 tower I saw, and I remember thinking "Do you know how fast I could check my email on that thing?"
  3. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2006
    i agree.... i had the quicksilver from 2001 - 2005 i think... it was pretty sweet :apple:
  4. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005

So what if it looks ugly. A Mac Pro deadset destroys a Quicksilver PowerMac G4.

The "cheese-grater" look was designed to allow for maximum airflow to cool the then PowerMac G5's hot G5 processors. Now that the Mac Pro uses much cooler Intel Xeon processors it doesn't require as much cooling but by using the same enclosure Apple were able to use the extra internal space provided by removing all those fans to put more stuff in them.

The PowerMac G4 was the last of Apple's organic graphite themed design, the PowerBook G4 had ushered in the new aluminium industrial-themed design for the professional machines. The PowerMac G5/Mac Pro is an extension of that brushed aluminium, minimalist design theme that is such an important feature of the upper-end models.

It's just an extension of that early PowerMac G5 design - if you don't like the starck minimalism of the design well I guess that's your opinion. I think the imposing nature of both the size, materials and form really give it a visual "look" that is unmatched in current computer case design. It just looks like it's ready for business.

The PowerMac G4 design, whilst revolutionary for it's time is a bit dated and a bit "toyish" now in comparison to the acres of aluminium on the PMG5/Mac Pro.

Oh and the Mac Pro is so much faster than a Quicksilver G4 it's not funny.

Yes, the Quicksilver was beautiful but it's had it's time and something new has come along. Same with the iMac G4 - I still think it's the best looking computer ever but the iMac G5/Core Duo/Core 2 Duo brought the "all-in-one" design to a new peak.

It's just an evolution of design, sure we can like one better than the other but taking a step backwards is something I don't want the Apple designers to do.
  5. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2006
    i wasn't saying what was on the inside but the outside....
  6. Vader macrumors 65816

Oct 11, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    To me the Quick Silver looked like something out of the future, now, 6 years later, it seems like something of the past (mainly because it is a 733, so it is rather slow), but it still looks nice!
  7. SMM macrumors 65816

Sep 22, 2006
    Tiger Mountain - WA State
    A beautifully crafted response. The PowerMac G5 was my first Mac. I was walking down the Apply display at Fry's and it stopped me dead in my tracks. It was the 2.0 dual attached to a 23" ACD. I was in the store for about an hour that day. I kept returning to look at that computer. I KNEW I had to have one. Two days later I did. I have become so bored with the design that I own a second one (G5 Quad) and a third one (MP). When the dual Quad comes out, I will have one of those too. ;)
  8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    The 2001 Quicksilvers, like mine, are nice, but the Wind Tunnel/Mirror Drive Doors versions with the vents on the front were somewhat ugly.
  9. spicyapple macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    I've owned both machines and my preference is for the Mac Pro design by a wide margin. Maybe I just like the continuous aluminum body and industrial design, but the more I look at the Quicksilvers, the less I am smitten with them.

From a technical perspective, the Mac Pros are way, way advanced in every respect, from airflow, easy access side panel to quiet operation. It's a winner!
  10. Tangerine thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 5, 2007
    You're right, the QuickSilver have a nice shiny glass effect which make it stylish and nice. But the Mac Pro also look good in it own ways, high tech, powerful, and more in the future. I guess both have it own distinguish looks. My brother know it's a powerful machine right away when he saw it because it's so big. Perhap I like the QuickSilver look a bit more then the Mac Pro because of it nice glass effect making it so stylish and different from today silver alumunium computer.
  11. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    The QuickSilver's were nice looking for their time. Nicer than the original B&W G3 tower with the same basic design. But the G5/Mac Pro is just so *drool*. :p
  12. product26 macrumors 6502a

May 30, 2005
    having owned both...

quicksilver wins the award for looks.

mac pro wins the award for overall design (silence is golden)
  13. synth3tik macrumors 68040

Oct 11, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    I loved my quicksilver greatly and thought it looked pretty damn cool. But I got kind of tired for the basics of the design dating back to G3 days. Plus I find the new case keeps the computer cooler. and if it runs cooler then it is cooler.:p
  14. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    I love my Quicksliver!
    I just wish it was a little quieter:rolleyes:

I like the look of the G5/MacPro but I prefer the QS.

I still want a B&W G3 too.
  15. mashinhead macrumors 68020

Oct 7, 2003
    :confused: really, for the longest time i wouldn't buy one of those just because i thought they were so ugly, but i love the mac pro/g5 design
  16. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

Oct 19, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    I like both, but I do agree, the g3/g4 powermac cases are "slighty" nicer in terms of looks. Plus they took up less room.

But having said that, nothing beats the 3 minute harddrive install on the g5/macpro case
  17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Quicksilver was beautiful, I loved mine and getting into it was faster then any machine ever made. Its been downhill since the quicksilver days in my view. Apple needs to pull its head out of its ... and start making machines like Quicksilver and the cube again. Those were the Mac days in my view, today we have PCs that are called Macs.
  18. JDN macrumors 6502a

Sep 7, 2006
    Lund Sweden {London England}
    I prefer the g5/pro look. It looks meaty and like it packs a punch. It has a presence. But alas, unless i can find £1900 even with a student discount im not going to be getting a MacPro for a very very very long time.
  19. mashinhead macrumors 68020

Oct 7, 2003
    yeah same boat, once the new ones come out, i think the second hand market will be worth looking at for those.
  20. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2006
    We lost some of the design because of pure profit...

I absolutly agree with Tangerine, the QS is absolutly spectaclular when it comes to design. The new G5 and Mac Pro is somewhat neat but it is clearly trimed for mass production. Apple is running towards mainstream - I think everybody is realizing this. (Intel) From a metal fabrication view it is a lot easier to do the G5 look compared to a curvy plastic molding design which need a lot more expensive tool & die stuff then just good metal stamping and perforating. This is also the reason why I will never sell my second 1,42 Gig MDD. The days of a premium Apple design philosophy which acts in small nitch markets not giving a damn about profit are over! Wake up guys!
    I am sure some smart MBA's are in charge today, which means more mainstream, "standardisation", more profit and less extraordinary design stuff. Ok - good for the shareholders but we are not very fare from a Dell philosophy if this trend keeps going.
  21. mrkramer macrumors 603

Jul 11, 2006
    I like the looks of the quicksilver, but I definitely prefer the design of the powermac G5/ MP.
  22. Gurutech macrumors 6502

Jan 22, 2006
    Thank you for your "opinion".
    However, I think totally differently.
  23. product26 macrumors 6502a

May 30, 2005

so... they listened to the rest of their customers who wanted a quiet computer.... and succeeded in doing so, but left out this guy... who thinks plastic > metal

Around the time that apple started making the G5, aluminum prices were sky high. Although I do not know where the prices of aluminum are now, I seriously doubt that they started using aluminum to cut production costs.

The aluminum pulls off the minimalist approach so much better than the plastic ever did. Personally, i do not like the look of plastic mold lines and screws on every corner of the machine.

Apple as successfully made one of the most powerful personal computers on the market, and because of it's fantastic case design, it hardly makes a sound. A success in my book.

I spent hours upon hours and a lot of money trying to make my quicksilver a little quieter. But due to case restrictions it could never reach a point that i considered acceptable. In the end, i purchased an empty G5 case on e bay and made it whisper quiet. I took advantage of one of the best designed cases on the market.
  24. piltupso macrumors regular

Apr 29, 2006
    I couldn't disagree more have you seen a Dell close up lately those things have creaky fragile plastic cases. Just because something doesn't have curves in place of every straight line doesn't mean there is no thought given to design. Forgetting the performance features of the design I think the plain clean look of the metal case really says something about the thought paid to the design given the expected end use of the model, a no nonsense workhorse. Dell can keep their Walmart image and Dell's Alien teenage line can keep their useless flashing lights poking out every which way, I don't think Apple has lost a thing in design or quality.
  25. synth3tik macrumors 68040

Oct 11, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    One thing I hated about my quicksilver was the HD installation. Those damn screws got lost so easy. I was impossible to set the screw in right. :(