Quicksilver soundcards

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by pishnaris, Mar 26, 2002.

1. pishnaris macrumors newbie

I want to get the best sound possible out of a Dual 1 gig machine. Is there an upgrade to the sound card that would support something like Cambridge Soundworks Movieworks speakers.

Thanks,

2. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

3. pishnaris thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I called Cambridge Soundworks, and they concluded that there's really nothing available in 5.1 for the Mac...at least nothing that isn't simply for gamers. Checking Creative Labs shows a Soundblaster Live card for the Mac, but there doesn't seem to be OS 10 supported drivers (from what I can see, anyway). Cambridge suggested the Megaworks 210D system as the best setup for the Mac, with the Microworks as a second best.

Anyone tried this setup yet?

Thanks

4. blakespot Administrator

blakespot

Sadly we've got a ways to go yet as far as drivers and game support for surround sound on the Mac. Creative has the hardware out there, but it's just basically not supported. I see this as a rather long road.

blakespot

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

just out of curiosity, what are you going for in sound quality? what do you need it for?

6. pishnaris thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd like to have a decent, home-stereo type sound so that I can simply setup my background music and run it through the computer. We have about 4,000 songs sitting on a dedicated MP3 drive and run them through the Soundblaster Live 5.1 system on a PC. I want to move everything to the Mac (just got the new IPod).

I think Cambridge Megaworks 210D's might do the job okay, but it would be nice to have 5.1 for DVD movies. DVD is pretty nice on the Cinema Display.

7. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Still havent found what i'm looking for...

Let me know if you find anything, I have the Quicksilver 867 and am also interrested in some 5:1 action.

I'll keep looking myself. Good luck.

C-

8. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

Is it the 10 gig or the 5 gig?
    I have the 5 gig, and you should get a case as soon as possible. I have had mine for over 2 months and I still dont have a case, there are a few black marks, and scratches with black gunk in them on the buttons, there is a giant circle of tiny scratches on the screen so there are shadows on it when you are not using the backlight, and on the back silver part, some of the serial number is scratched off, so if it gets stolen, it cant be identified:(