Quicksilver vs. Butler....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rxl125, Oct 29, 2006.

1. rxl125 macrumors regular

I don't really get why people like Quicksilver so much.... Butler is nice and should be part of OSX, in that it is graphic. What's the hype about Quicksilver? I'm new to the mac, so be gentle...

2. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

b/c it really is so easy. ive never tried butler, but ive never needed to b/c QS is everything i need for shortcuts.

3. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I've never liked Butler as much as QS, I always found it to be slower. The only thing that bugs me about QS is the lack of a calculator function in the latest version.

4. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

I like Butler in that it gets around not being able to put groups of apps in the Dock. I had to get rid of it though, because it seemed to really slow down my computer.

5. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

QUicksilver is Fast, free, updated regularly (and VERY EASILY) ...and it's sexy as all get out. :D

I use it for two things ...app launcher and keyboard shortcuts (triggers)

6. novicew macrumors member

novicew

I started using QuickSilver just for launching Application. It was fast and really simple. After reading some article on 43 Folders I found so many other hidden features. For me, it is a must have.

7. CHINAdeals macrumors newbie

man

i LOVE quicksilver.

i never knew how useful it was until i started using it.

neways

quick ques:

How do i FORCE QUIT this program?

sometimes it freezes up but the app doesn't show up in my 'forcequit' menu (apple + alt + esc)

i get the spinning ball of death ..and i can't restart hte program..restarting finder doesn't work..nothing works til' i restart hte computer

8. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

try opening Activity Monitor (in /Applications/Utilities) and filter "Quicksilver", then quit that process

9. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I'll second that, added a good 20 seconds to startup and I could tell it was slowing down other stuff too...sad because it was really great.

10. thestaton macrumors 6502