Quicksilver Won't Boot

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by seamuskrat, Oct 28, 2004.

1. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I have a Dual 1 gig QuickSilver machine with 1 gig of RAM OS 10.3.

I shut down the Mac a few days ago while I was out of town. When I returned last night, I cannot boot the machine. The power light glows and the Mac makes a slight 'click' and that is it. No fans, no hard drives, nothing.

I checked all my cables and opened the box to take a peek. Again, when I press the power button, it glows for a second, and the logic board has two LEDS that flash briefly, and the CPU fan briefly whirs to life and then it turns off.

I checked all internal and external cables. All seems fine.

It is acting like a power supply problem or internal short or safety is preventing it from progressing in the boot. Is this possible? How do I reset this?

Up until last night, this Machine was solid as a rock with no problems at all. No new instals, software updates, or hardware changes have been made in quite some time. I have removed all attached devices except for Apple keyboard and mouse and no luck either.

Any thoughts?

2. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

A friend of mine had this same issue. I seem to recall that resetting the power supply solved the problem. Did you notice a reset button when you opened the case?

3. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I recall that Edesignuk has a very similar problem a while back on his Quicksilver of similar specification. If I see him on AIM tonight I will point him toward this thread.

4. seamuskrat thread starter macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I am not with the Mac right now. I did reset the CUDA switch on the main board. But I admit I only pressed it briefly. I am not aware of an actual power supply reset. I will look into it.

Thanks

5. JonGraves macrumors member

Motherboard battery?

Hey seamuskrat,
    Could it be a motherboard battery issue? Try pulling it, blowing the dust bunnies off and reseating it. If that does not work you might want to replace it anyway.

Jon