Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dylan, Jul 9, 2005.

1. dylan macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2005
    I just bought an iMac g4 for $1300 (i know, i know) but i just found this ad in the buy and sell...

G4 Quick Silver 867 MHz, 1.5 Gig RAM, 120 Gig HD, Superdrive, 250 MB Zip Drive. Comes with cables, keyboard, mouse and 17" Apple LCD Display. Original Apple software. $900 obo

This would be better suited for the work i will be using the computer for. is this a good deal for 900, if not should what should i offer? Or should i just wait for the imac g4 800-1.3(?) upgrade, and do that instead?

Any imput would be greatly appreciated!

BTW my iMac is 17" G4 800mhz, 768mb RAM, 80GB, Superdrive, Airport.
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Apart from the RAM and larger hard drive and the Zip drive (does anyboy actually use these anymore?) why do you feel the Quicksiver would be better?

I would never spend money on a CPU upgrade in the iMac G4 800 -- you are still limited by the buss and the PC133 memory (as you are as well in the Quicksilver)

If you want to upgrade, save your pennies for a Dual G4 Mirror Drive Door model with DDR RAM, or an iMac G5.
  3. dylan thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2005
    Thanks for your response.

I'd use it record music and games so the expandability is definately a plus. And $900 CND obo (i forgot to mention all prices are canadian) it looks like a pretty good deal.

Could you elaborate the reason why i shouldn't get the cpu upgrade?