Quicksliver - whats the big deal?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Glenn Wolsey, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

So, what's the big deal about Quicksilver? From what I have read (and tried), it cant do anything more than a simple Spotlight search, so what's the big deal?

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It's much faster than Spotlight. But then, I have it set for my Applications folder only. You can also download a crapload of plugins for it to control things. It comes with iTunes plugins, and there are many many more directly installable within the app itself.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It's one of those things that you have to try out to understand. I didn't see the point of QS. I even installed it and removed it 10 minutes later because it didn't seem like anything worth using. I gave it another try and forced myself to use it for a couple of days. It didn't take long to realize it's benefits. Now I hate using a computer without it. So go ahead and try it for three days. I bet you'll like it.

4. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

its reall great i have mine on alt+z so its easy to bring up and saves me searching the application folder for programs. also on a ibook 12" the dock needs to be small

5. Glenn Wolsey thread starter macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Okay then, let's see how this goes. 3 days, and i will post my thoughts here after each day :)

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

But you have to actually use is, not just install it. I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

7. Glenn Wolsey thread starter macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Will do. Just installed it and customized a few things. Let's get this into the daily workflow :D

First note: iTunes browsing features are cool.

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I'm not big on having another application running when I already have SpotLight working. And IMO SpotLight does its job quickly enough, although when there is a CD in the drive it does slow down. But I doubt QS would have any advantage over that. My Dock is already too busy for me.

9. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Just now getting around to actually trying out Quicksilver. I had tried it before, but not extensively. Been using it for a couple of hours and I love it. The application launching is great and I really love the iTunes and iChat features. It gets an A+ in my book!

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You don't need to put it in the Dock or the menubar. It's much quicker than Spotlight, it allows you get to applications, bookmarks, send files to people, find Contacts, change your iTunes music within just a few keypresses - and I wouldn't say I was a power user of it.

Don't just install it and use it to launch Apps. Go and read some of the online tutorials on some of the extra things you can do and you'll see how impressive it is
    Dan Dickinson's are good but there are many more out there. They've already done an excellent job in reviewing it from basic to advanced features.

Oh yeah, and change it to the bevel design - much nicer ;)