Quicksliver won't turn on with PC PCI video card installed?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by scolen2, Oct 26, 2004.

1. scolen2 macrumors newbie

Ok.. now this one is weird and just dosn't make any sence...

I installed a ATI 9700 video card from a PC into my G4 867, now other then the speical power tab that the original had everthing is the same. When I went to turn on the machine, nothign happneds at all. Is there a way to bypass this little problem?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

take out the card, pc cards dont belong in macs.....

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

No.

I assume you meant AGP, but PCI cards wouldn't work either. A PC card would need it's ROM flashed to a Mac versions. It is sometimes possible (I've done it with a PCI card), but very difficult. You should take the card out, put the original back in, and pray you have not fried the computer.

If it does not start up right, zap the PRAM.

4. scolen2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well... according to card spec they are identical, and yes I meant AGP (sorry). So I'll go with the firmware answer. As for killing a board, that's not really possible. Believe what you want, but unless you are hot swaping cards or get a "large" electro static shock then nothign will happen doing what I did. So some research and you will see, I wouldn't of done it if I had any sort of idea that I would kill the board. So, anyway.. Thanks guys, I was just currious if anyone else every tried it.

5. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I was considering doing some similar by putting a BFG 6800 GT/OC in my G5, but I got the same answer: It's the firmware, stupid!

6. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

Need mac firmware on the video card. All other components of the card are exactly the same.

Max.